Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Word documents in my iCloud drive

I have Word documents in my iCloud drive. When I try to access them on my iPad, it will only let me print (when I open it, I get a print screen). I can't edit those Word documents on my iPad. I swear I used to do be able to do this. Does anyone understand what's going on? Is this just some weird problem between Microsoft and Apple? When I try to access the document directly from Word, I don't have the option to get into my iCloud Drive. Help!

Thank you.

iPad Pro, iPadOS 15

Posted on Oct 31, 2022 10:12 AM

2 replies

Oct 31, 2022 10:20 AM in response to Kipper18

Perhaps an obvious question, but have you installed both the Microsoft Word and MS OneDrive Apps on your iPad?

The Word App may not be able to directly edit Word documents that are stored in iCloud - but may require that you create a local copy with which to make edits. Alternatively, storing your Microsoft documents in OneDrive may work-around this limitation.

Also consider that MS Apps for iPad require that you have active Office 365 subscription - and are signed-in to your account - as otherwise App functionality is severely limited.

Oct 31, 2022 10:28 AM in response to Kipper18

The Preview option in the Files App, will not let you edit the file directly there, but tapping on the share icon

(arrow coming out of a box) then on Share and then on Word in the list of apps.

If it does not show up there, tap and hold on the file, and then tap on Share, and then see if the Word app appears in the app list.

If accessing them from the Word App directly, you can tap on the "Files App" location in the side bar, and then on iCloud Drive.

Word documents in my iCloud drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.