Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

search in finder... then rename file. How to do this?

Hi guys - Quick question thats been bugging me...

If I want to rename a specific file, I will use Finder to search for the file. However, once I locate the file, it will not allow me to rename it.

Highlighting and Clicking / pressing enter does not bring up the blue text edit box you would expect where you would type in the new name. There is also no "rename" option in the "right click" shortcut menu.

What am I missing here?

Thanks for any help!

MacBook Pro

Posted on Oct 31, 2022 8:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 1, 2022 1:41 AM

Rename files, folders, and disks on Mac

6 replies

Nov 1, 2022 6:34 AM in response to Mr_Whites

When I open a Finder Window, click on the 🔍 search icon, and enter my Spotlight search criterion, I get a found result in that window. If I click once on that document icon and press enter, I can change that filename.

If you are using the menu bar 🔍 Spotlight approach, you will get a list of found files, but can do nothing with them in that Spotlight window. You need to select the filename, and press cmd+R to present a Finder Window with that file preselected. Then you just press enter and the file name text is ready for editing.

Nov 1, 2022 9:18 AM in response to Mr_Whites

Ok - just noticed something interesting…

so the file names I want to change are mp3 files.

when I search by name in the Finder and get results, other file types appear with their file extensions on display (.xml, .m3u, etc.), and those files I am able to change the names as expected by single clicking or pressing enter.

However the mp3 files that show up in Finder do not display the .mp3 extension and are unable to be changed.

Now if I highlight an mp3 file and then press cmnd+R, I will get a second Finder window where the file will show the .mp3 extension of the filename, and I can change it from there.

But I’ve never had to open a second Finder window to make changes before. So what could have changed?

search in finder... then rename file. How to do this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.