Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Imac 2017 with OS Ventura, now Safari, Mail, and Adobe Cloud App crash instantly.

How do I fix these apps from crashing as they are part of Ventura update, except the Adobe Cloud App, as well as all Adobe products will not run either. Imac 2017 Intel i5 chip. All had been running fine with OS Monterey?

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 13.0

Posted on Nov 1, 2022 3:32 AM

17 replies

Nov 1, 2022 4:28 PM in response to Marco Klobas

Hi, I think my solution is to go back to OS 12.6 as the computer was working fine until the latest upgrade. Still wondering why Mail and Safari crash instantly. I re-installed the software with the same result. This is running off an external SSD drive and wondering if it is possible to just delete the new OS in the partition and replace with 12.6 without deleting my other software-data on the drive.

Nov 1, 2022 6:17 PM in response to mattzedbarnez

I wonder if this upgrade has been designed to work well on Apple M1 and M2, but Intel is not so lucky, maybe we try again after next few rounds of updates. Most buggy full upgrade I have seen and I have been using Macs since the early 90’s. Very disappointing they released this in such a state. Lucky to have iPhone for email or I would be stuffed.

Nov 20, 2022 11:42 PM in response to JoeBasel

Hi Joe, Well the new OS Ventura works great on an M1 Mac like the one I'm responding to you with (Mac mini 2020). Upgraded from Monterey with no issues, everything runs. Just so you are aware I was trying to run OS Ventura on an SSD external drive on my iMac 2017. My local drive has Mojave running on it as I have lots of 32 bit programs I like to have available to me, Up until now I have always been able to run the latest OS on the external drive. This way I have options as I can't run some of the older software on the new OS, and I use the external drive to run the latest software like Adobe CC 2023 photoshop, illustrator, etc.. full suite. I tried to load and use Ventura on the external drive 3 times: twice upgrading from Monterey and the last time from a clean wiped drive to Ventura. No improvement at all, can't run basic programs like mail and safari, Adobe creative cloud crashes and apart from Chrome just made the machine worthless. I'm now convinced I will stick to Monterey until the next OS comes out. I have options, but this wasted a lot of time. I had even considered upgrading the local drive thinking the problem was the external drive, but perhaps our iMac 2017's are not compatible. My external drive is a SABRIENT rocket 4TB thunder thunderbolt 3 (2400 MBs write/read)fastest external drive I could buy and works flawlessly until loading OS Ventura. Good luck I have given up on it with my iMac.

Nov 21, 2022 12:05 AM in response to mattzedbarnez

Hi mate, I gave up after trying to install Ventura on my external drive 3 times: I think it must be a compatibility issue with 2017 iMacs. I'm writing to you on my Mac mini M1 and upgrading from Monterey worked flawlessly all my apps work as they should Mail, Safari and Adobe suite as well. I do like this OS, but it does not like the iMac 27 inch 2017 from my experience. Might give it another go in 6 months or so, but 3 strikes and I'm outta here.

Nov 21, 2022 12:13 AM in response to Marco Klobas

Hi Marco, I'm writing to you on my Mac mini M1 machine and the Adobe suite works great on this machine, no programs crashing, Apple programs Mail and Safari work fine, tried loading Ventura OS on my Sabrient Rocket external drive 2400 MBs read/write speed with my 2017 iMac 27 inch and all of the above crash instantly. Like day and night with Ventura OS and Intel vs Apple CPU. Loaded the OS on a freshly reformatted drive and still same problems with Ventura. Great on M1, absolute rubbish on "MY" Intel Mac.

Nov 21, 2022 12:48 AM in response to Sea Cliff

Hi Sea Cliff,

on my Mac mini 2018 (intel) the Creative Cloud work. The only issue I have is that often I have to launch the Adobe apps repeatedly because not all interface palettes are shown. After 2/3 even 4 attempts the apps are loaded with full palettes.

Moreover, InDesign sometimes doesn't refresh the layout when skipping from one page to another. I have to switch to another app or Finder and then return to InDesign in order to get a refreshed layout.

Nov 21, 2022 3:32 AM in response to Marco Klobas

Hi Marco, I'm working on my 2020 Mac mini M1 and no issue with Adobe interface, Creative Cloud menus, Downloading the 2023 versions now, Photoshop 2022, Illustrator 2022 and InDesign 2022 load fine, not one crash or need to reload anything, Ventura works with Adobe well on this machine, absolutely unusable on my iMac 2017 27inch. Seems to be an iMac problem from what I can gather. Couldn't use my external drive with Ventura which is my workflow (iMac only) (fastest external drive I could get Sabrent rocket 2400mb\ps read/write) Perhaps next time I load the Ventura OS I do it on this M1 machine and if it runs well here, but not when booted on the iMac this will validate that it is an iMac problem?

Nov 21, 2022 3:47 AM in response to Sea Cliff

Good to know there are no issues on M1 machines.

The intel counterpart seems more tricky. The issues I described don't prevent me from using Adobe apps for my work. Actually, I use the Creative Cloud daily and my usual workflow works.

I haven't specified: the apps are all 2023 versions.

In my case, I experienced the described palette annoyance from time to time even with the previous Illustrator version on Monterey. With Ventura the issue is more persistent and it has spread to InDesign.

Jan 9, 2023 3:41 PM in response to Sea Cliff

I had this similar problem. I ran a time machine backup then installed the macOS Ventura 13.1 from a bootable SD card. Because my 2017 iMac wouldn't connect to the internet, I had to download Ventura and save it to an SD card on another computer. Once I opened the SD card on my 2017 iMac, I put the "Install macOS Ventura" file in my applications folder. I ran it from there and now my 2017 iMac is working great! One more thing, I've now turned off automatic software updates. I'm guessing the Ventura 13.0.1 was the culprit and that was auto installed. Hope this helps!

Jan 9, 2023 10:54 PM in response to Sea Cliff

Thank you for your answer. The problem I was having came from trying to run OS Ventura off an external drive with Intel CPU. The software NOW runs fine from my internal drive after installing it there. Ventura also runs fine as external drive loaded from M1 Mac on M1 Mac, but that external drive is not Intel compatible so M1 only. I was hoping keep Mojave on my local drive and Ventura on my external drive. I have run my iMac with this configuration for many years, allowing me to run 32 bit older software and the latest 64 bit software on the same machine. Just decided to jump all in and run the latest. I kept old Adobe software just in case I can no longer afford the CC license. Oh well I have it on an old machine if needed - just runs slow. Again thank you for your reply.

Imac 2017 with OS Ventura, now Safari, Mail, and Adobe Cloud App crash instantly.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.