You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Login error on facebook and messenger apps

Hello everyone,

I am writing this post in order to receive a information about a problem that i am facing for a year now.

The problem is that a year ago i was using facebook to make accounts in different websites when one day my applications broke. From this moment i am receiving notification "login error: An unexpected error occurred. Please try logging in again. " I have made the following steps to solve the problem:

Restarting the apps

Deleting and installing the apps again

Changing passwords

Changing emails

Resetting network settings

Resetting the whole iPhone ( 4 times with backups )

Changing iPhone model and entering the same account

Contacting Facebook support ( the do not answer usually )

Changing settings in facebook

Resetting through computer

On other icloud accounts and smartphones i can log in to facebook and messenger, but on my there is no chance.

The last thing to do is to change my icloud account by creating a new one and transwer everything, but i do not know if that is possible as i have conneted my whole life to that account.

I am a bit desperate as there are people who have not solved this problem for years and i am wondering if i should change the brand to Samsung. Please come up with some ideas and solutions if you are facing the same problem. Everything that is suggested in internet forums is made, but there is still this problem. I will be very grateful if you help me or have any ideas or even if you have solved this problem.

Regards,

Simeon V.

[Personal Information Edited by Moderator]

iPhone XS Max

Posted on Nov 1, 2022 7:58 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 3, 2022 7:28 AM

Hi simeon36,

It sounds like you've take some good steps so far. You've tried all the steps in this article, correct? If an app on your iPhone or iPad stops responding, closes unexpectedly, or won’t open

"

1. Close and reopen the app

Force the app to close. Then open the app to see if it works as expected.

2. Restart your device

Restart your iPhone or restart your iPad. Then open the app to see if it works as expected.

3. Check for updates

To see if updates are available for the app, open the App Store, tap your profile icon, then scroll down to see if updates are available. If updates aren't available for the app, update the software on your iPhone or iPad.

4. Delete the app, then redownload it

"

If you've tried all those steps, the next step would be contacting Facebook support since they would be the experts in regard to their apps. Here's how to contact them if needed: How to contact an app developer

Take care.

9 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 3, 2022 7:28 AM in response to simeon36

Hi simeon36,

It sounds like you've take some good steps so far. You've tried all the steps in this article, correct? If an app on your iPhone or iPad stops responding, closes unexpectedly, or won’t open

"

1. Close and reopen the app

Force the app to close. Then open the app to see if it works as expected.

2. Restart your device

Restart your iPhone or restart your iPad. Then open the app to see if it works as expected.

3. Check for updates

To see if updates are available for the app, open the App Store, tap your profile icon, then scroll down to see if updates are available. If updates aren't available for the app, update the software on your iPhone or iPad.

4. Delete the app, then redownload it

"

If you've tried all those steps, the next step would be contacting Facebook support since they would be the experts in regard to their apps. Here's how to contact them if needed: How to contact an app developer

Take care.

Nov 3, 2022 10:39 AM in response to simeon36

Thanks for getting back to us simeon36.

Let's try a few steps we don't see mentioned so far. Follow in the order listed below to see if this will help.

1 - Verify the date, time, and location are correct on your iPhone. This can have an impact on some apps. Found in Change the date and time on iPhone - Apple Support, you can go to Settings > General > Date & Time.

2 - Let's try a different way to remove the app. Go to Settings > General > iPhone Storage > scroll down and tap Facebook. Select "Offload app", it will save your data, it's only removing the app. When you see the option to "Download app", tap on to it so it will add Facebook.

See this article for information on device storage. How to check the storage on your iPhone and iPad - Apple Support

3 - Restart your iPhone following the steps found here: Restart your iPhone - Apple Support

4 - Test the app when your iPhone has completed restarting.

Reach back out if needed.

Take care!

Nov 3, 2022 7:35 AM in response to Jeff_888

Hello,

This solution does not work. The problem is not the facebook or messenger app, or the third-party app or anything related to this company. The problem is that there are something like virus in the icloud account that block third-party apps. In my case i cannot enter the apps. On other icloud account, everything works perfect, but i am not sure if there is solution to that. I am not sure even if i decide to change the icloud account to completely new one, then the problem will solve. If you have more proper solution for i would be grateful to hear it. Thank you in advance.

Regards

Nov 4, 2022 7:23 AM in response to Matthew.S81

Hello,

Thank you for information. This actually could be helpful, but if i do not use the back up then how i would restore my files on the phone. Lets say i restore the phone, enter without the back up and download messenger app. If i succeed in entering in the app then can i restore the files from the back up? Please get back to me as soon as you can!

ps. i can log in in my account through other devices and other icloud account and people can not log in into their account on my phone and my icloud account.

Best regards,

Nov 4, 2022 7:17 AM in response to simeon36

Thanks for getting back to us, simeon36.

To confirm, did you restore your iPhone to factory settings and set up as a new device without a backup? This would rule out any software issues. Also, did you try logging in with your account on other devices? If you have no problems logging in with another FaceBook account on the iPhone, then there is nothing wrong with the iPhone. Login issues are specific to Facebook and not the iPhone. You'll need to contact Facebook: How to contact an app developer - Apple Support

Best regards.

Nov 4, 2022 7:37 AM in response to simeon36

That's a great question, simeon36,

If you restore your iPhone as a new device to test Facebook, you can restore the backup again so that you can access your files. Be sure that you create a backup of your iPhone before restoring to factory settings as the restore process does erase all data from your iPhone. If you need help to restore your backup after testing, this article will guide you: Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support

Also, if you do restore to factory settings, restoring your iPhone via a computer will erase and reinstall a new operating system. If you erase your iPhone via Settings, it does not erase and restore the complete operating system: Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support

Restore your device to factory settings
1. On a Mac with macOS Catalina or later, open the Finder. On a Mac with macOS Mojave or earlier, or on a PC, open iTunes. Find out which macOS your Mac is using.
2. Connect your device to your computer.
3. If a message asks for your device passcode or to Trust This Computer, follow the onscreen steps. Get help if you forgot your passcode
4. Select your device when it appears on your computer. Learn what to do if your iPhoneiPad, or iPod touch is unresponsive or won't turn on. Or get help if your device doesn't appear on your computer.
5. Click Restore [device]. If you're signed into Find My, you need to sign out before you can click Restore.

6. Click Restore again to confirm. Your computer erases your device and installs the latest iOS, iPadOS, or iPod software.

7. After your device restores to factory settings, it restarts. Now you can set it up as new.

If you need additional assistance with your iPhone, you can reach Apple Support directly here: Apple Support

Cheers!

Nov 4, 2022 5:16 AM in response to Dorain1

Hello!

Thank you for reaching out to me with some ideas. Unfortunately the solutions that you have suggested did not solve my case. If you have any other ideas that are possible for realization by me, please get back to me with something. I am not sure if in these discussion actually participate people from Apple, but i am sure that i am not the only one having this trouble. People are having this issue for years and i am just a needle in a haystack. This is not very pleasing as i do not want to change the brand, but if this things does not solve with future updates i would be pressed to do it...

Nov 5, 2022 8:26 AM in response to Miche11e_P

Hello friend,

Thank you for the solutions. I have restored the iPhone and entered it without the backed up files. I downloaded the facebook and messenger app and i finally got to log in without the error. But now here is comes the problem.... I have restored the files again, because i need this phone with everything in it and the problem is back again. Is there any option to prevent this or i have to set up a new phone without restoring the files from the old one. Like for example i can buy a new phone and enter it as a new one and start everything again by downloading and logging into my apps and account and just use it like this...

Please get back to me when you can.

Regards.

Nov 5, 2022 8:45 AM in response to simeon36

simeon36, That's a great question.

If you restore from your backup, you are essentially putting the exact same problem on to your device; hence the reason you are experiencing the same problem again. With that being said, you will need to set it up as a new device like you stated in your previous reply to us.

Please do not hesitate to reach back out to us if you have questions or need any additional support.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. Cheers!

Login error on facebook and messenger apps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.