Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IOS 16 Messages after installed didn’t have an option to restore a deleted Messages convo that was deleted today. Is there no way to retrieve this convo in 16?

While trying to erase a spam text message, I ended up deleting a long-standing conversation that I wanted to retrieve. There was no option in my version of iOS to do so, so I downloaded 16 to obtain the retrieve feature. However, after 16 was installed, there were no deleted messages showing. I then deleted a random message as a test and saw that one show up in the recently deleted area. After I restored that test deletion text message, it then showed there were no recently deleted messages again. Is there no way for me to retrieve this initially deleted conversation that I deleted before I downloaded 16? Is that data stored somewhere that can be retrieved without downloading a previous backup?

iPhone 8, iOS 16

Posted on Nov 1, 2022 11:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 1, 2022 1:23 PM

MaryDCVA wrote:

While trying to erase a spam text message, I ended up deleting a long-standing conversation that I wanted to retrieve. There was no option in my version of iOS to do so, so I downloaded 16 to obtain the retrieve feature. However, after 16 was installed, there were no deleted messages showing. I then deleted a random message as a test and saw that one show up in the recently deleted area. After I restored that test deletion text message, it then showed there were no recently deleted messages again. Is there no way for me to retrieve this initially deleted conversation that I deleted before I downloaded 16? Is that data stored somewhere that can be retrieved without downloading a previous backup?

See the first 2 bullets here Recovering deleted texts and iMessages - Apple Community

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 1, 2022 1:23 PM in response to MaryDCVA

MaryDCVA wrote:

See the first 2 bullets here Recovering deleted texts and iMessages - Apple Community

IOS 16 Messages after installed didn’t have an option to restore a deleted Messages convo that was deleted today. Is there no way to retrieve this convo in 16?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.