Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

GarageBand recognizes MIDI Oxygen Pro but no Sound

I am using a MacBook Pro 13" early 2015 with macOS Monterrey 12.6.1. I have recently bought a keyboard controller M-Audio Oxygen Pro 61 and I am connecting both of them using the USB cable, but unfortunately, GarageBand is not playing any sound though it receives MIDI input.

I know that MIDI input is being recognized because I have run the Audio MIDI Setup utility, including the MIDI Studio and the Test Setup option. When I release the key, there is an arrow that shines.

Additionally, every time I am pressing a key in GarageBand I see that the Software MIDI track shows a green line that fades when I release the key. It even displays the name of the note or chord I am pressing. However, I am not able to hear any sound, whatever the instrument I am selecting.

If I unplug the keyboard controller and open the app with it, there is a virtual keyboard and this time there is a sound that can be hear.

I would appreciate your help.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Nov 1, 2022 4:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 3, 2022 11:53 AM

Good day to you pmgallardo, 

We understand you to be saying that when not using the keyboard controller, things are working as expected but when using the keyboard controller you’re encountering an issue. 

Is there any additional software that comes with the keyboard controller which may need to be installed? 

As we work to isolate, is there anything that connects between the keyboard controller and your Mac that we can remove as a variable? 

A few basic steps - 

• Be sure your Mac is up to date with the needed and supported software that agrees with all pieces included. 
  • Test with different cables, connectors, adapters and see if changing anything there produces a different result. 
  • Test in a new user on your Mac where Garage Band and the user itself doesn’t have all the settings and such as your current user Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

Thanks. 

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 3, 2022 11:53 AM in response to pmgallardo

Good day to you pmgallardo, 

We understand you to be saying that when not using the keyboard controller, things are working as expected but when using the keyboard controller you’re encountering an issue. 

Is there any additional software that comes with the keyboard controller which may need to be installed? 

As we work to isolate, is there anything that connects between the keyboard controller and your Mac that we can remove as a variable? 

A few basic steps - 

• Be sure your Mac is up to date with the needed and supported software that agrees with all pieces included. 
  • Test with different cables, connectors, adapters and see if changing anything there produces a different result. 
  • Test in a new user on your Mac where Garage Band and the user itself doesn’t have all the settings and such as your current user Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

Thanks. 

Nov 20, 2022 3:42 AM in response to AnnieL2

Thanks AnnieL2, and sorry for the late reply.

I retried today, and it worked. It seemed to be just a matter of volume too low, because the MIDI output for the MIDI track in GarageBand is unusually low. I am not sure is there is another issue behind this.

What I realized is that the MIDI track volume was very low compare to the overall OS system volume. For example, the lowest OS volume available (level 1) is enough for me to play a video in a quiet room. However, MIDI input was almost inaudible at level 1; I had to volume it up to level 4 to start listening to it.

In addition to setting volume up, I repeated the keyboard controller firmware update and installed M-Audio Preset Editor app, that I haven't installed before. I doubt any of this made any difference, but I mention it just in case.

In any case, I have summarize all the configuration steps for the keyboard controller on this link:

https://runmodule.com/2022/11/20/how-to-set-up-keyboard-controller-m-audio-oxygen-pro-61/

Hope it helps to anyone with similar issues.

GarageBand recognizes MIDI Oxygen Pro but no Sound

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.