Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Accidentally Installed Windows Drivers on Macbook Pro

Ok so long story short, I accidentally installed some windows drivers for a program I am trying to use, and now my Macbook Pro (Mid 2012 Retina) will not boot up all the way. Once it does power on and I type in my password, the lower progress bar fills up about halfway and then the screen completely goes black and laptop seems to just power off.

Any idea what I can do to get my laptop fixed?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Nov 1, 2022 4:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 2, 2022 7:28 PM

Windows drivers will only affect a Windows installation not booting macOS. If you installed macOS software containing drivers (aka extensions), then it will affect macOS booting. Try booting into Safe Mode which will prevent third party software from launching automatically during boot & login.

If Safe Mode cannot boot, then try booting into Recovery Mode (Command + R) and Internet Recovery Mode (Command + Option + R) so you can attempt to run Disk Utility First Aid on the hidden Container. Within Disk Utility you may need to click "View" and select "Show All Devices" so that the hidden Container appears on the left pane of Disk Utility. Even if First Aid says everything is "Ok", click "Show Details" and scroll back through the report to see if any unfixed errors are listed. If First Aid shows any unfixed errors, then it will require erasing the entire SSD (destroying all data) followed by a reinstall of macOS & restore from a backup. If First Aid reports no unfixed errors, then you can try reinstalling macOS over top of itself (this requires being booted into Recovery Mode using Command + R so you reinstall the same OS unless of course you are running macOS 10.15 Catalina in which case Internet Recovery Mode is Ok).

How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

Try running the Apple Diagnostics to see if any hardware issues are detected.

Is the charger connected to the laptop and is the Magsafe LED a solid color (no flickering)?

Is this the 13" or 15" model? The 15" models tend to have a lot of GPU failures.

The MBPro 2012 Retina model is now considered "Obsolete" so Apple will no longer repair it because parts are no longer available. I don't know if Apple will even look at the laptop to assist you possible software issues, but you can ask them. An Apple Authorized Service Provider may be willing to assist as well.

Product Service and Repair Information - Official Apple Support

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 2, 2022 7:28 PM in response to Matrixnubee

Windows drivers will only affect a Windows installation not booting macOS. If you installed macOS software containing drivers (aka extensions), then it will affect macOS booting. Try booting into Safe Mode which will prevent third party software from launching automatically during boot & login.

If Safe Mode cannot boot, then try booting into Recovery Mode (Command + R) and Internet Recovery Mode (Command + Option + R) so you can attempt to run Disk Utility First Aid on the hidden Container. Within Disk Utility you may need to click "View" and select "Show All Devices" so that the hidden Container appears on the left pane of Disk Utility. Even if First Aid says everything is "Ok", click "Show Details" and scroll back through the report to see if any unfixed errors are listed. If First Aid shows any unfixed errors, then it will require erasing the entire SSD (destroying all data) followed by a reinstall of macOS & restore from a backup. If First Aid reports no unfixed errors, then you can try reinstalling macOS over top of itself (this requires being booted into Recovery Mode using Command + R so you reinstall the same OS unless of course you are running macOS 10.15 Catalina in which case Internet Recovery Mode is Ok).

How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

Try running the Apple Diagnostics to see if any hardware issues are detected.

Is the charger connected to the laptop and is the Magsafe LED a solid color (no flickering)?

Is this the 13" or 15" model? The 15" models tend to have a lot of GPU failures.

The MBPro 2012 Retina model is now considered "Obsolete" so Apple will no longer repair it because parts are no longer available. I don't know if Apple will even look at the laptop to assist you possible software issues, but you can ask them. An Apple Authorized Service Provider may be willing to assist as well.

Product Service and Repair Information - Official Apple Support

Accidentally Installed Windows Drivers on Macbook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.