Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trust this computer - every time

I have a new iPhone 14 Pro running iOS 16.1. Every single time I connect it to my iMac (running Ventura) I'm required to enter the phone passcode to get it to "Trust This Computer". This didn't use to happen with my previous phone (apart from the first time I plugged it in) and it's incredibly annoying. I've turned off the hotspot and reset the location and network settings, but it's still happening. Any ideas?

Posted on Nov 2, 2022 1:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 8, 2022 7:07 AM

UPDATE - just been told by an Apple support person that requiring a passcode every time you start a sync or back up to your desktop/laptop is a deliberate iOS "feature" rather than a bug. Seems a completely unnecessary change that is also extremely annoying in practice. I read elsewhere someone speculating that this was a deliberate ploy on Apple's part to encourage users to back up to iCloud and hence pay for extra online storage space - can't think of any other reason why they would have done this.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 8, 2022 7:07 AM in response to sp67

UPDATE - just been told by an Apple support person that requiring a passcode every time you start a sync or back up to your desktop/laptop is a deliberate iOS "feature" rather than a bug. Seems a completely unnecessary change that is also extremely annoying in practice. I read elsewhere someone speculating that this was a deliberate ploy on Apple's part to encourage users to back up to iCloud and hence pay for extra online storage space - can't think of any other reason why they would have done this.

Nov 2, 2022 3:15 AM in response to sp67

What the trust settings on your device mean

When you connect your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to a computer or other device for the first time, an alert asks whether you trust the computer:

• Trusted computers can sync with your device, create backups, and access your device's photos, videos, contacts, and other content. These computers remain trusted unless you change which computers you trust or erase your device.
  • If you choose not to trust a computer, you block its access to content on your device. You'll see the trust alert every time you connect your device to that computer.

Trust this computer - every time

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.