Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trust This Computer - Every single time I connect my phone since iOS 16.1.1

Hi guys - Ever since updating to iOS 16.1.1, I have to enter my passcode to "Trust This Computer" when I connect via USB cable. Also, the Finder window pops up for my nightly backup... except that the backup doesn't occur without the passcode.

To get it to work, I have to do the following:

1) Click "Try Again" on the computer.

2) Go to the phone and enter passcode.

3) Click "Try Again" again on the computer.

4) *sometimes* Have to enter passcode again on phone.

This is quite a nuisance when I already elected to trust the computer (I have to trust it every day)... Is there any known solution to "permanently trust" a computer that I connect to every day? Thanks in advance for your help.

iPhone SE, iOS 16

Posted on Dec 6, 2022 11:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 8, 2022 2:55 PM

Apple now requires you to trust the computer each time you back up. This is a workaround for a vulnerability that would allow anyone who hacked your computer to be able to steal your iCloud backup and compromise all data backed up from your phone, by initiating a backup to an unprotected location on your computer (regular backups are saved in protected space on your computer). Here is some details on the vulnerability→https://cve.report/CVE-2022-32929

My guess is that this is a temporary fix until a more user-friendly one can be implemented and tested.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 8, 2022 2:55 PM in response to fulmar2

Apple now requires you to trust the computer each time you back up. This is a workaround for a vulnerability that would allow anyone who hacked your computer to be able to steal your iCloud backup and compromise all data backed up from your phone, by initiating a backup to an unprotected location on your computer (regular backups are saved in protected space on your computer). Here is some details on the vulnerability→https://cve.report/CVE-2022-32929

My guess is that this is a temporary fix until a more user-friendly one can be implemented and tested.

Dec 8, 2022 2:44 PM in response to fulmar2

Hello fulmar2,

Thanks for posting in Apple Support Communities. We understand that you have to continuously select "Trust This Computer" when connecting your iPhone to your Mac. We'd like to help!

To troubleshoot the issue, we recommend testing after each step:

1. Test without USB Accessories enabled in Settings > Touch ID & Passcode. More information about this feature can be found here: Using USB accessories with iOS and iPadOS - Apple Support
  2. Test using a different lightening cable or port on your Mac.

If that doesn't resolve the issue, the "Get help" section of the following support article explains what to do if f you tap "Trust" or "Don't Trust" but your answer isn't accepted: About the 'Trust This Computer' alert on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Let us know if this helps! Take care.

Dec 8, 2022 3:14 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Thanks Lawrence. While your reply doesn't fix the problem, I appreciate knowing what the issue is. I sure hope that Apple comes up with a better solution, or at least give us the option to "opt out" of this behavior (with a warning about the risks of the decision we're making). Thanks again for a clear answer. Oh, and thanks to your post, I dug down to find a more clear explanation of exactly what was found and why Apple took this unfortunate solution: https://theevilbit.github.io/posts/cve-2022-32929/

Trust This Computer - Every single time I connect my phone since iOS 16.1.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.