You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari top hits suggest ugly 'maps.app.goo.gl' **** despite of empty browser history

Does anyone know how to remove that "Top hits" entry in Safari configuration on MacBook? Despite I have cleared my browsing history, the silly 'maps.app.goo.gl' address is autocompleted by Safari every time I type "maps.".

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Nov 2, 2022 5:37 AM

5 replies

Nov 2, 2022 7:25 AM in response to SzD79

SzD79 wrote:

Does anyone know how to remove that "Top hits" entry in Safari configuration on MacBook? Despite I have cleared my browsing history, the silly 'maps.app.goo.gl' address is autocompleted by Safari every time I type "maps.".

hmmm.... cookies, data, and history

There is a help menu in Safari, see if there is anything there

Clear your browsing history in Safari on Mac - Apple Support

You can try relaunching Safari hold the Shift key down and compare your results.

Nov 4, 2022 4:53 AM in response to leroydouglas

I don’t want to clear all cookies and data. I can understand that Safari can take some top hits from browsing history but it is not the case. That URL isn’t there no longer after I have removed it. Unfortunately, Safari is suggesting that as the “Top hits” what imho is security issue. It seems that Safari is misleading here. Btw. the given url was in browser history only once, so how can it be among “Top hits” on first position before maps.google.com which was visited dozens times?

Dec 20, 2022 12:20 AM in response to leroydouglas

tried that, does not work. (clearing browser history and cookies)

in my case that url was never accessed. But when i start to type "map" it gets autocompleted to that ****** not working url.. and if i'm in a hurry and hit enter, i get sent to that link, and afterwards i remove it from search history, and still it's the same suggestion over and over again.

WHERE IS IT COMING FROM and how do i get it out of the system ?

seems like it's hard-coded in safari or something

Jan 11, 2023 3:33 AM in response to SzD79

When you remove the history.db file from Go -> Library / Safari, it goes away.

But the moment you click on a shared Google Maps location on a WhatsApp message etc, you'll get it again. Just one click is enough to make it a top hit above your whole history, no matter how often you visit the others. Super annoying bug of Safari.

Safari top hits suggest ugly 'maps.app.goo.gl' **** despite of empty browser history

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.