Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot change computer name in Ventura

Documentation says to go to system preferences, general, then sharing. There is supposed to be a "Computer Name" field at the top of the window. It is not there. So how do I change my MacBook Pro computer name? I am logged in as an admin.

MacBook Pro Apple Silicon

Posted on Nov 2, 2022 1:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 15, 2022 2:15 AM

According to Apple Documentation I have found and specific to Ventura macOS 13.

Change your computer’s name or local hostname on Mac - Apple Support (KE)

Change your computer’s name or local hostname on Mac

Your computer’s name and local hostname are used to identify your computer on your local network.

Change your computer’s name

Your computer’s name is displayed at the top of the About settings window.

1. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Settings, click General  in the sidebar, then click About on the right. (You may need to scroll down.)
  2. Type a new name in the Name field.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 15, 2022 2:15 AM in response to UtahMacTech

According to Apple Documentation I have found and specific to Ventura macOS 13.

Change your computer’s name or local hostname on Mac - Apple Support (KE)

Change your computer’s name or local hostname on Mac

Your computer’s name and local hostname are used to identify your computer on your local network.

Change your computer’s name

Your computer’s name is displayed at the top of the About settings window.

1. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Settings, click General  in the sidebar, then click About on the right. (You may need to scroll down.)
  2. Type a new name in the Name field.

Dec 28, 2022 12:08 PM in response to dialabrain

dialabrain wrote:

Things have changed a bit. System Settings > General > Sharing. Scroll down to "Hostname". Click "Edit…".

MooreD10 wrote:

System Settings -> General -> About -> Name

Interesting. There are now two ways to set the computer name.

If you use the new "Ventura-style" it will change both the computer name and the host name. But you can still change only the host name via Sharing. That will leave your computer with two different names. For most purposes, only the host name is the important one. But there might be certain apps that look at the other name.

Nice.

Nov 30, 2022 9:38 AM in response to UtahMacTech

The field in "About" is not editable for me, brand new MacBook Pro running Ventura 13.0.1. How am I able to make the computer name change? This is for a work environment that needs to have a specific naming convention. I am logged in as an Administrator. I did change it in Sharing but as mentioned this is only changing the local host, not the computer name. The system we use to manage the Macs is showing with the auto generated computer name.

Cannot change computer name in Ventura

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.