Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Assigning folders for Downloads, Documents, Photos, Movies, and Music (formerly iTunes) on External Drive

Mac support says this issue is "out of their scope":

I have a new Mac Mini (Let's call the 1tb internal drive "A")

I have the 3tb system HD from my old iMac in a housing and is attached to the Mac Mini via USB. All of my old data is on this drive ( "B" )

I have a 2tb external SS drive attached to the Mac Mini via Thunderbolt ( "C" ).

problem: Drive A is too small to hold all of the data from Drive B. I want to set up the Mini so that folders for Downloads, Documents, Photos, Movies, and Music (formerly iTunes) live on Drive C and the OS in the Mini automatically stores all new data in those categories to said folders on Drive C. Drive A will only contain applications.

How do I get the Mini to do this?

Thank you

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Nov 2, 2022 1:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 2, 2022 1:57 PM

Sorry, photos is a bit different. Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

don’t forget that after setting media folders for movies, music, you need to the organize library for everything to copy to the external drive. Depending on the size of your library, it can take some time

Similar questions

8 replies

Nov 2, 2022 1:44 PM in response to jackostrato

You can change the location of the media in music, movies, and photos. Eg. Open TV. Go to Tv > Settings > Files and specify an external drive for your content. (similarly in Photos and Music). Once you do that, you can elect to keep the folder organized and to copy content to the location. Then, you can delete the current media on your Mini. Anything new will move to the external library. The same is tru for Photos and for Music.

I keep my music and movies externally. Provided the external drive is connected, everything just moves over. If the drive is not connected I can quit the app, connect the drive, open the app, and then go to File > Library > Organize library to copy over content (and then, of course, delete the content downloaded while the drive was not connected in the files on the Mac). When the drive is not connected the system defaults to the traditional folders. So, only a little clean up from time to time.

Assigning folders for Downloads, Documents, Photos, Movies, and Music (formerly iTunes) on External Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.