Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using Mac mini with an external drive?

I have an old iMac with a 10TB drive. Its now time to update.

My challenge is a storage challenge. We have a lot of photos, family movies, a large music library etc.

We use homeshare so we can watch movies from the main computer on Apple TV's around the house.

We use crash plan as a backup solution as well as time machine.

We have lots of documents etc.

If I choose a Mac mini with a large external drive then is it possible to:

1) Run my photos library form the external drive?

2) Run my TV app with all my home movies from the external drive

3) Run my Music App with all my music library from the external drive

4) use homeshare to that I can view movies and listen to music on the Apple TVs around the house

5) Can I run my email from the external drive

6) Can I put my documents folder on the external drive.

5) Use Time Machine (will it backup the external drive or will it run home and backup the Mac mini internal drive. Can Time machine backup both internal and external drive.

6) Use crash plan for the external drive

Basically have only the OSx on the Mac mini internal drive and have everything pointing to the external drive. What are the exceptions?

Thanks!

Posted on Dec 31, 2021 12:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 31, 2021 12:25 PM

You can put all of your stuff on an external drive and it will pretty much work as before.

You will need to check with Photos, Music, etc. on how to move libraries to external storage and have the apps use them. Your home sharing will work just as before except your libraries will be on the external drive.

Time Machine can do the internal and any other drive you chose to add to it. Just make sure the drive that you will be using for Time Machine is large enough to back everything up.

Email will run on the internal drive, as it does now.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 31, 2021 12:25 PM in response to smcrea

You can put all of your stuff on an external drive and it will pretty much work as before.

You will need to check with Photos, Music, etc. on how to move libraries to external storage and have the apps use them. Your home sharing will work just as before except your libraries will be on the external drive.

Time Machine can do the internal and any other drive you chose to add to it. Just make sure the drive that you will be using for Time Machine is large enough to back everything up.

Email will run on the internal drive, as it does now.

Using Mac mini with an external drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.