Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using external drive for music & photos

I have a 1Tb Airport and a 5Tb external drive (toshiba) and they both run Time Machine, backing up both my wife and my iMacs in rotation. Works perfectly but I want to use the 4Tb+ spare as the Music Library and possibly the iPhotos Library for both machines. I assume I will have to wipe Tosh clean and create partitions - how I don’t know. Then I have to somehow tell our iMacs to use partitions 2 & 3 for Music and Photos, All our devices are networked via cable. Any advice gratefully received.

Posted on Aug 4, 2019 5:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 4, 2019 8:11 AM

If you want to use the Toshiba for storing just your music and photos then yes, it would be wise to reformat it and then move the libraries onto it. It is EXTREMELY shortsighted and foolish to use the same External Hard Disk for back and storage because when the drive fails (they all do!!!) you will have lost not only your storage but the backup too!

Most wise users have redundant backups, for example they have one separate External Hard Disk for Time Machine and then another totally separate External Hard Disk and create a bootable clone using either SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner. Then if they want to do like you and move large libraries (photos, music, movies etc.) they get a third External Hard Disk and use that.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 4, 2019 8:11 AM in response to QuantockRover

If you want to use the Toshiba for storing just your music and photos then yes, it would be wise to reformat it and then move the libraries onto it. It is EXTREMELY shortsighted and foolish to use the same External Hard Disk for back and storage because when the drive fails (they all do!!!) you will have lost not only your storage but the backup too!

Most wise users have redundant backups, for example they have one separate External Hard Disk for Time Machine and then another totally separate External Hard Disk and create a bootable clone using either SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner. Then if they want to do like you and move large libraries (photos, music, movies etc.) they get a third External Hard Disk and use that.

Aug 4, 2019 10:47 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Thanks, it seems logical to get another 1Tb external and pair it with the airport for backups. Then use the Toshiba as storage for the libraries. But if the Toshiba just sits there not as part of the airport how do I address it to tell iTunes and iPhotos where to look? Or can the Airport "host" disks not used for Time Machine.? Sorry to be a bit dense.

Aug 4, 2019 10:59 AM in response to QuantockRover

How is the Toshiba connected to the Mac. Your photos library can be on an external drive, directly connect to the Mac, but not on a network connection. So, USB is no problem. Anything involving networking is a no-no.

As to how to tell the Mac to look for your media on another drive: same in both iTunes and Photos: hold the option (or alt) key and launch iTunes or Photoss. From the resulting menu select 'Choose Library'

Aug 4, 2019 3:42 PM in response to Yer_Man

Thanks for the library choosing info. But as I need to have both our iMacs accessing the same iTunes library I'd better find another solution if I can't use a network connection. I'm tempted to leave the Time Machine setup alone and give permission to user2 to access the iTunes library on Mac1 and store all the music on there. I could then allow user1 to access the photos library on Mac2 and move all the photos to there. Would that work?

Using external drive for music & photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.