Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Crashing at login

Hi

My mac keeps crashing a quarter of the way through logging in-the fans do a short burst of air then it shuts down. It happened with both user profiles. I can boot in safe mode and have uninstalled VPNs. Only 3 extension in that folder all apple ones.

Error log attached.

Posted on Nov 2, 2022 1:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 2, 2022 5:10 PM

It appears you have the MBPro 16" (2019) model.

The panic log mentions the "GPU Panic: Failed Power Play Initialization".

Either you have some third party software which is interfering with macOS or you have a hardware issue with the laptop. I did find these two Apple forum threads which reported a similar Kernel Panic. Your panic mentions "Failed PowerPlay Initialization" while the panics mentioned in these threads all seem to mention "PowerPlay Failed Resume" (at least the ones which posted panic logs), but I believe you have the same underlying issue. The second thread was first reported immediately after the launch of this model in 2019 and is 45 pages long. The first thread I linked here is only 3 pages long, but is a bit easier to follow since it appears the Logic Board had to be replaced. The interesting thing in the first thread is one user reported having to have their Logic Board replaced twice since the GPU Panics still occurred days after receiving the laptop back from Apple, but the second Logic Board replacement appears to have worked for that user.

Macbook Pro 16 inch panic (PowerPlay Failed Resume) - Apple Community

Macbook pro 16 2019 freezes randomly and restarts - Apple Community

You can also run the Apple Diagnostics to see if any hardware issues are detected. Unfortunately the diagnostics don't detect most failures, but if it does report a hardware issue, then that is good as it will help to get Apple to repair the laptop.

Also, disconnect all external devices in case one of them is causing a problem.

I would suggest performing a clean install of macOS by first erasing the whole physical SSD before reinstalling macOS. Do not install any third party apps and do not migrate/restore from a backup. You need to test the laptop thoroughly with the clean install. Besides if you get this laptop repaired, then Apple will be replacing the Logic Board anyway which includes the integrated SSD, so you will need to reinstall & restore from a backup after the repair anyway. Plus being able to prove the issue occurs with a clean install will make it much easier for Apple to accept the fact there is a hardware issue that needs to be repaired. If you have access to another Mac running macOS 10.15+, then you could instead "Restore" the firmware on this laptop which in addition to resetting the T2 security chip, it will also push a clean OS onto the internal SSD.

Before erasing the laptop, I highly recommend you copy all the Kernel Panic logs from the laptop so you have them to show Apple. Most Apple techs will likely ignore the Kernel Panic reports because they don't understand them, but at least you have them to show if needed and to prove the crashes were due to Kernel Panics. The Kernel Panic logs have file names beginning with "kernel" and can be found in "/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports". Hopefully the issue occurs often enough even with a clean install so that you can actually show the Apple tech the issue. Keep in mind you may also be able to trigger the issue by sleeping & waking the laptop.

Keep in mind that you will have a 90 day part/repair warranty so if you have any issues after the repair, make sure to take the laptop back so Apple can deal with them during this 90 day period.

Make sure to have a good backup now while the laptop is still functional. You will need the backup when you have the laptop repaired since you will be receiving a replacement Logic Board which has an integrated SSD so all data will be lost except for what you have backed up.

You should always have frequent and regular backups of your computer and all external media (including the cloud) which contains important & unique data.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 2, 2022 5:10 PM in response to krishb

It appears you have the MBPro 16" (2019) model.

The panic log mentions the "GPU Panic: Failed Power Play Initialization".

Either you have some third party software which is interfering with macOS or you have a hardware issue with the laptop. I did find these two Apple forum threads which reported a similar Kernel Panic. Your panic mentions "Failed PowerPlay Initialization" while the panics mentioned in these threads all seem to mention "PowerPlay Failed Resume" (at least the ones which posted panic logs), but I believe you have the same underlying issue. The second thread was first reported immediately after the launch of this model in 2019 and is 45 pages long. The first thread I linked here is only 3 pages long, but is a bit easier to follow since it appears the Logic Board had to be replaced. The interesting thing in the first thread is one user reported having to have their Logic Board replaced twice since the GPU Panics still occurred days after receiving the laptop back from Apple, but the second Logic Board replacement appears to have worked for that user.

Macbook Pro 16 inch panic (PowerPlay Failed Resume) - Apple Community

Macbook pro 16 2019 freezes randomly and restarts - Apple Community

You can also run the Apple Diagnostics to see if any hardware issues are detected. Unfortunately the diagnostics don't detect most failures, but if it does report a hardware issue, then that is good as it will help to get Apple to repair the laptop.

Also, disconnect all external devices in case one of them is causing a problem.

I would suggest performing a clean install of macOS by first erasing the whole physical SSD before reinstalling macOS. Do not install any third party apps and do not migrate/restore from a backup. You need to test the laptop thoroughly with the clean install. Besides if you get this laptop repaired, then Apple will be replacing the Logic Board anyway which includes the integrated SSD, so you will need to reinstall & restore from a backup after the repair anyway. Plus being able to prove the issue occurs with a clean install will make it much easier for Apple to accept the fact there is a hardware issue that needs to be repaired. If you have access to another Mac running macOS 10.15+, then you could instead "Restore" the firmware on this laptop which in addition to resetting the T2 security chip, it will also push a clean OS onto the internal SSD.

Before erasing the laptop, I highly recommend you copy all the Kernel Panic logs from the laptop so you have them to show Apple. Most Apple techs will likely ignore the Kernel Panic reports because they don't understand them, but at least you have them to show if needed and to prove the crashes were due to Kernel Panics. The Kernel Panic logs have file names beginning with "kernel" and can be found in "/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports". Hopefully the issue occurs often enough even with a clean install so that you can actually show the Apple tech the issue. Keep in mind you may also be able to trigger the issue by sleeping & waking the laptop.

Keep in mind that you will have a 90 day part/repair warranty so if you have any issues after the repair, make sure to take the laptop back so Apple can deal with them during this 90 day period.

Make sure to have a good backup now while the laptop is still functional. You will need the backup when you have the laptop repaired since you will be receiving a replacement Logic Board which has an integrated SSD so all data will be lost except for what you have backed up.

You should always have frequent and regular backups of your computer and all external media (including the cloud) which contains important & unique data.

Crashing at login

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.