Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Changing SIM card for iPhone

I'm traveling to New Zealand for 3 months in 2023. My Kiwi friends suggested I get a new SIM card for my iPhone while I'm there. My carrier is ATT which has an International rate of $10/day. UGH. But I also don't want to screw up my iPhone if changing the SIM card means I can't access my data like Vaccination Card which I will need to travel there. I've never swapped out the SIM on my iPhone so a little nervous--what are the pros and cons?

iPhone 11

Posted on Nov 2, 2022 4:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 2, 2022 4:13 PM

The SIM card has no relation to your iPhone's internal data, and will not affect things like your vaccination card in any way.

The SIM card only holds your phone number and service plan settings.

Cons:

Switching the card means people that have your current number will not be able to call you or message you on it. They will need to use the New Zealand number for calls and messages instead. You will get no voice mail from your other number either while the SIM card is removed from the iPhone.

Pros:

You get a local number with a local rate rather than relying on AT&Ts roaming plan.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 2, 2022 4:13 PM in response to janetee

The SIM card has no relation to your iPhone's internal data, and will not affect things like your vaccination card in any way.

The SIM card only holds your phone number and service plan settings.

Cons:

Switching the card means people that have your current number will not be able to call you or message you on it. They will need to use the New Zealand number for calls and messages instead. You will get no voice mail from your other number either while the SIM card is removed from the iPhone.

Pros:

You get a local number with a local rate rather than relying on AT&Ts roaming plan.

Changing SIM card for iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.