Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

what is trojan script generic kdz 13170 on mac. I found it while running a scan.

what is trojan script generic kdz 13170 on mac. I found it while running a scan. I am not able to remove it. What does it do and should I be worried about it?

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Nov 3, 2022 8:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 5, 2022 5:37 AM

Sunilj10 wrote:

I deleted those “infected” files, don’t know if that helps.

They were never infected. All you did was corrupt your Safari cache.

I should try installing bitdefender once again and attempt uninstalling it gracefully with bitdefender support, that might do a clean uninstall. Do you think that’s a feasible solution?

Many modern Mac antivirus products are virtually impossible to remove. Any developer who thinks that a harmless cache file is a malware infection probably is going to struggle trying to deal with an Apple System Extension. I don’t know if BitDefender is one of those that can’t be removed.

Do all security systems scan all of your computer and actions?

Most of them do, even though this is completely pointless in a Mac. But most antivirus products have very little knowledge of the macOS operating system works. They just do the most basic operation and scan every file on disk, whether it could possibly be involved or not.

I thought that’s what they were designed to do, as long as they don’t use that info or take it out of the computer. Though I have heard of many antivirus companies actually do that.

I don’t know what they do with your data, so I can’t comment on it. I can tell you that BitDefender is one of the larger and more reputable antivirus products, so you should be safe. But I mean “you” specifically. Many people don’t know which companies are reputable. And many antivirus products, even some very popular ones, are true scams. People will download and install anything.

So perhaps in case of macs not using any antivirus could be a solution… do you think that’s safe to do?

I’ve never used a 3rd party antivirus app on my Mac. In most cases, they are more dangerous than the malware they are supposed to protect you from.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 5, 2022 5:37 AM in response to Sunilj10

Sunilj10 wrote:

They were never infected. All you did was corrupt your Safari cache.

I should try installing bitdefender once again and attempt uninstalling it gracefully with bitdefender support, that might do a clean uninstall. Do you think that’s a feasible solution?

Many modern Mac antivirus products are virtually impossible to remove. Any developer who thinks that a harmless cache file is a malware infection probably is going to struggle trying to deal with an Apple System Extension. I don’t know if BitDefender is one of those that can’t be removed.

Do all security systems scan all of your computer and actions?

Most of them do, even though this is completely pointless in a Mac. But most antivirus products have very little knowledge of the macOS operating system works. They just do the most basic operation and scan every file on disk, whether it could possibly be involved or not.

I thought that’s what they were designed to do, as long as they don’t use that info or take it out of the computer. Though I have heard of many antivirus companies actually do that.

I don’t know what they do with your data, so I can’t comment on it. I can tell you that BitDefender is one of the larger and more reputable antivirus products, so you should be safe. But I mean “you” specifically. Many people don’t know which companies are reputable. And many antivirus products, even some very popular ones, are true scams. People will download and install anything.

So perhaps in case of macs not using any antivirus could be a solution… do you think that’s safe to do?

I’ve never used a 3rd party antivirus app on my Mac. In most cases, they are more dangerous than the malware they are supposed to protect you from.

Nov 4, 2022 12:13 PM in response to Sunilj10

Sunilj10 wrote:

I am facing issues uninstalling bit defender. I have had to do it dirty way with vestigial remains, as the uninstall option did not work.

I noticed that you made a point to remove your short user name from your screenshot. Do you really want BitDefender tracking your web usage like this? And more importantly, did you successfully remove the component that is reading your Safari cache?

Security apps often install files in hidden directories. They also often include new System Extensions. If those System Extensions aren't uninstalled correctly, they may be impossible to remove. Yet they will continue running. It's becoming a significant problem.

Nov 4, 2022 8:49 PM in response to etresoft

perhaps I should try installing bitdefender once again and attempt uninstalling it gracefully with bitdefender support, that might do a clean uninstall. Do you think that’s a feasible solution?

Do all security systems scan all of your computer and actions? I thought that’s what they were designed to do, as long as they don’t use that info or take it out of the computer. Though I have heard of many antivirus companies actually do that. So perhaps in case of macs not using any antivirus could be a solution… do you think that’s safe to do?

Nov 5, 2022 9:27 PM in response to etresoft

Thank you for taking time and effort for the detailed response.

I thank all who helped address this troubling issue. Very grateful for the timely support. I guess I will take help from bitdefender to uninstall the software and then leave it at that. The best way forward I see is to leave macOS just as it is, will never download anything from outside the AppStore and never click unknown links, hope that way the computer will be safe.

Nov 6, 2022 4:45 AM in response to Sunilj10

, will never download anything from outside the AppStore and never click unknown links, hope that way the computer will be safe.

Neither of those are necessary. You can download and install from reputable developers, just get the software from their website, never from a software aggregator like cnet, softpaedia, etc.

You can clink on anything. It won’t “infect” your Mac. It may try to scam you into installing something, but it cannot install its malware unless you execute the install.

what is trojan script generic kdz 13170 on mac. I found it while running a scan.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.