Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

W97M Downloader on Mac

Norton alerted me that my MacBook has been infected with the W97M Downloader Trojan virus. I am running macOS Catalina 10.15.4. What is the damage this virus can do?

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on May 3, 2020 8:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2020 8:28 PM

Are you running Windows? Mac OS is different from Windows OS.

https://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/w97m_downloader.shtml

The file could be in an email attachment - so, check your emails, but do not open an attachment unless you know what it is.

Did you know that Catalina now has a separate, not accessible volume where the Mac OS is, it is read only and cannot be changed/written to? That means that your system is secure, so why are you running Norton's? The only volume anything can be altered is the MacHD - Data volume where your apps and files are.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 3, 2020 8:28 PM in response to Missy0964

Are you running Windows? Mac OS is different from Windows OS.

https://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/w97m_downloader.shtml

The file could be in an email attachment - so, check your emails, but do not open an attachment unless you know what it is.

Did you know that Catalina now has a separate, not accessible volume where the Mac OS is, it is read only and cannot be changed/written to? That means that your system is secure, so why are you running Norton's? The only volume anything can be altered is the MacHD - Data volume where your apps and files are.

May 3, 2020 8:46 PM in response to babowa

Thanks for the quick reply. While I am pretty computer literate, I lack knowledge on things like volumes, what is read only, what is secure, etc. I read that W97M could be keystroke virus, which is what really concerned me. While I have always heard that Macs are pretty secure, I thought It couldn’t hurt to run a anti-virus.

May 3, 2020 9:06 PM in response to Missy0964

Ok, so this is part of major security changes Apple has made with the OS:

Your hard drive is considered a "container" that contains the OS, files, apps - everything. To make the OS more secure from viruses, etc., they have now "quarantined" the most important system files in one volume - your Mac HD. Then there is a second volume, Mad HD - Data which contains your apps, files, etc - that one can be added to, written to - in other words, changes you make daily by working in apps, etc.

This virus would need access to your OS system in order to do bad things - which it cannot do in Catalina. And, in fact, it cannot do anything unless you are running Windows. Norton's can play havoc with the Mac OS - personally, I would not allow it anywhere near any of my Macs.

W97M Downloader on Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.