Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't install up-to-date OS X after factory reset?

I have a MacBook Air (2013) that was previously running a fairly recent version of OS X (can't remember which one, sorry). I then did a factory reset; I erased all the data, did 'first aid' in the utilities on all the disk/drive thingies, and then reinstalled the operating system.

For some reason it has installed Mountain Lion. I would like to update to Big Sur, which should still be compatible with my hardware (according to this page) but, though Safari loads Google searches, when I try to access any Apple pages to download more recent software, Safari can't connect to the web page.

I tried to download an interim software between Mountain Lion and Big Sur through the app store (again, can't remember which one, sorry!) but the download failed.

Why did my comp automatically load Mountain Lion instead of Big Sur?

Why can't I access webpages through Safari on Mountain Lion?

How can I upgrade the operating system?

Many thanks for all help and advice!

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 3, 2022 10:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 7, 2022 8:15 AM

Thank you John!

Unfortunately this fix didn't work for me as I couldn't update the Mountain Lion software; due to the outdated software I couldn't access any web pages, and so couldn't follow Apple Support's usual guidance. I tried to download the new software onto a hard drive and install from there, but that didn't work either.

I have managed to fix this problem by doing the following:

Pressing & holding Alt + CMD + R on startup. Unlike the CMD + R startup, which only restores the original OS (i.e. in this case, Mountain Lion), the Alt + CMD + R enables the computer to do what I think is called an 'Internet Recovery Install'. This searches for the latest compatible OS. As you can't jump from Mountain Lion to Big Sur, this took me from Mountain Lion to Catalina, which I successfully installed. Once Catalina was up and running and I could do a normal 'check for software updates' and get Big Sur.

This problem is now solved! Hurrah!

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 7, 2022 8:15 AM in response to John Galt

Thank you John!

Unfortunately this fix didn't work for me as I couldn't update the Mountain Lion software; due to the outdated software I couldn't access any web pages, and so couldn't follow Apple Support's usual guidance. I tried to download the new software onto a hard drive and install from there, but that didn't work either.

I have managed to fix this problem by doing the following:

Pressing & holding Alt + CMD + R on startup. Unlike the CMD + R startup, which only restores the original OS (i.e. in this case, Mountain Lion), the Alt + CMD + R enables the computer to do what I think is called an 'Internet Recovery Install'. This searches for the latest compatible OS. As you can't jump from Mountain Lion to Big Sur, this took me from Mountain Lion to Catalina, which I successfully installed. Once Catalina was up and running and I could do a normal 'check for software updates' and get Big Sur.

This problem is now solved! Hurrah!

Nov 3, 2022 3:40 PM in response to CatrionaFlorence

Mountain Lion was that Mac's originally installed operating system, so that's to be expected. I understand its version of Safari isn't working to accomplish the upgrade though.

First, be sure to update Mountain Lion using Software Update: Update macOS on Mac - Apple Support. That should result in Mountain Lion becoming updated to its latest version 10.8.5. Confirm that by following Find out which macOS your Mac is using - Apple Support.

Then, using Safari, try this link: macOS Big Sur on the Mac App Store

That should immediately redirect to the App Store, where you can download the installer app.

Can't install up-to-date OS X after factory reset?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.