Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ventura Update: Problems with editing in RAW in Photos for Mac

Since updating my iMac to Ventura, Photos for Mac will not save edits I make on my photos in RAW format. The originals download in RAW without any problem, but when I edit them, I am told that there was an error downloading them and I'm left with a very low-quality image. In effect, I lose the photo.

I had no problem with this before the Ventura update, and I still seem to be able to edit on my MacBook, which has not been updated, so I'm assuming it's a glitch in Ventura.

I've tried a few fixes suggested on the internet, but with no success.

I'd be grateful for any help.

iMac 27″, macOS 13.0

Posted on Nov 3, 2022 11:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 3, 2022 2:23 PM

Hi

I would try the following:

1 - Try booting in safe mode - does it still happen? Then reboot normally and try again.

Start up your Mac in safe mode – Apple Support (UK)

Safe mode will clear temporary files and caches, and sometimes fixes odd glitches such as this.

2 - Create a new empty library and try with that library open (hold down the option key while starting photos, and click "create new". To switch back to your current library afterwards, do the option key start again) You'll need to import a few images to that library to test with.

3 - Try creating a new user account and try when logged into that account.

These checks will tell us if the problem is system wide, or linked to a particular library or user account.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 3, 2022 2:23 PM in response to Fiume_Susak

Hi

I would try the following:

1 - Try booting in safe mode - does it still happen? Then reboot normally and try again.

Start up your Mac in safe mode – Apple Support (UK)

Safe mode will clear temporary files and caches, and sometimes fixes odd glitches such as this.

2 - Create a new empty library and try with that library open (hold down the option key while starting photos, and click "create new". To switch back to your current library afterwards, do the option key start again) You'll need to import a few images to that library to test with.

3 - Try creating a new user account and try when logged into that account.

These checks will tell us if the problem is system wide, or linked to a particular library or user account.

Nov 4, 2022 4:34 AM in response to TonyCollinet

Dear Tony,

Thank you very much for your reply and suggestions.

I followed your first 2 ideas, but the edited RAW photos still could not be properly saved. I wasn't too sure about what you meant by a new user account--do you mean create a new Apple ID? However, it is also the case that I can edit without any problem on my MacBook, which has not been updated to Ventura, but which has the same Apple ID.

In working through these suggested fixes, though, I was able to save the originals. When I looked to reedit that photos that had the cloud with exclamation mark in it (which told me there was an error uploading them), the problematic image was quite dramatically replaced by the edited image. While I still could not save this, I could 'revert to original' and the original unedited RAW image was saved. In this way, I emptied the folder that Photos had generated of images that could not be downloaded. Perhaps this extra information says something to you?

All the best,

A.

Ventura Update: Problems with editing in RAW in Photos for Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.