Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IMac G3 MacOS X 10.3 installation problem:(

Hi.

I have a Imac G3, i dont know detailed specs for it but its a slot loading one. Currently MacOS 9.2.2

So, i want to install MacOS 10.3 to it, i burned the iso to a flash drive and connected it to G3. But when i open installation app then click restart its gives this error: "Startup disk was unable to select the install CD as the startup disk. (-2)." so i used the starup disk utility and manually booted from usb.

The grey apple logo and loading circle appeared but 1-2 mins later the apple logo turned to "block" symbol. Loading circle just rotates forever but nothing happens :((

Sorry for bad English...

Thanks in advance.

Posted on Nov 3, 2022 11:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 5, 2022 10:25 AM

That model iMac requires a firmware update BEFORE attempting the install of OSX. It may be in a real mess right now if you did not do the update.

iMac Firmware Update 4.1.9: Information and Download

Similar questions

4 replies

Nov 4, 2022 8:42 AM in response to BlackSpade41

Most G3 Macs are not able to boot from USB, and those which can I believe must be issued a special command from a special startup mode which sort of has a command line. I forget what this mode is called and how to get into it. I have no idea if your G3 can boot from USB. Plus todays USB sticks may not necessarily be compatible with such an old computer.

Assuming the .iso image is good, then you should try burning it to a CD. I'm not entirely sure how to do this with a Mac since when I did this 20 years ago I used a third party app to do it. It isn't about burning the .iso file to a CD like a regular file, but you must burn the raw image contained within the .iso file to a CD.

Nov 4, 2022 10:13 AM in response to BlackSpade41

Try using another USB stick especially an older one. Like I said, newer USB sticks may not be compatible with such an old computer. Plus Macs can be very picky about the USB drives used for booting.

Have you ever used this .iso image to boot this Mac before?

How did you burn the .iso image to the USB stick? If you plug the USB stick into another computer do you see the .iso file on it or a bunch of partitions and/or files?

IMac G3 MacOS X 10.3 installation problem:(

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.