Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

share via email as pdf / and again the world has become a bit worse

Unfortunately, Pages v12.2 no longer includes the "Send a copy as PDF" function. This is very annoying and for me as a software developer it is completely incomprehensible why EXISTING functions are DISAPPEARING in new versions?

Previously you could send a Pages document via the menu items File / Send Copy / Mail / PDF

directly as a PDF attachment in an email. Unfortunately, this is no longer possible because the menu

File / send copy no longer exists (by the way, the help still mentions it, i.e. the help doesn't match the current program version either... but that's a completely different topic)

Instead, there is now the File / Share... menu item, which is related to corresponding functions from the mobile area (iPhone/iPad). Using this menu item, however, you CANNOT bring the document into an email as a PDF, only as a .pages file. I don't want to imply that Apple wants to push its own iWork file format with it...

If you want to send a PDF, you first have to save it as a PDF file via File / Export To... and then either search for it in the Finder and then right-click / Share / Send a copy / Mail or open it directly via Mail / New email / Attach a file to a to get email. Both variants are more complicated to handle and represent a deterioration of the previous status!

I therefore ask the questions:

1) Why was this feature removed?

2) When will it be reintroduced ?

Dominik Hirt

Posted on Nov 4, 2022 12:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 4, 2022 8:49 AM

yep, with that short ... detour ... it's possible to create a new email with the pages document attached as pdf.

Thanks a lot !

1) CMD-P (File / Print ...)

2) click the small arrow right of the PDF selectbox in the lower part of the dialog

3) use 'send with mail'

Now I'm curious when my feature request will be answered :-)

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 4, 2022 8:49 AM in response to picas

yep, with that short ... detour ... it's possible to create a new email with the pages document attached as pdf.

Thanks a lot !

1) CMD-P (File / Print ...)

2) click the small arrow right of the PDF selectbox in the lower part of the dialog

3) use 'send with mail'

Now I'm curious when my feature request will be answered :-)

share via email as pdf / and again the world has become a bit worse

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.