How to Disable Automatic Link Previews in MacOS Ventura

It appears there is a new *feature* in MacOS Ventura (v13.0) where Mail automatically changes URLs to Link Previews in rich text emails.

But I would rather NOT have it automatically change them — I prefer to have the URLs spelled out — and I cannot find a way to turn this feature off.

A colleague said he read somewhere that once you manually change it back that the application will recognize and not do it again. This did not work for me.

Anybody know how to make it stop making the Link Previews? Help...

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iMac

Posted on Nov 4, 2022 6:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 23, 2023 1:55 PM

This feature is super annoying for people that send e-mails including multiple links and build up their own workflow for that over years and it's absolutely unbelievable that there is no option to turn this off.

186 replies

May 8, 2023 11:31 AM in response to RobertCailliau

Thanks for this - just upgraded, looked for fix, found this thread, found all the options to fix:

• Disable rich text (but a pain for everything else, like when replying and reply-body is now in plain text)
  • Use Command-K (annoying to do every time)
  • Put space before link (annoying to do every time)
  • Terminal fix (seems to work permanently, return to old way - did have to restart computer to get it to work)

Yes, very annoying 'upgrade' that makes things worse.

Nov 12, 2022 3:42 AM in response to pra6

pra6 wrote:

It's astounding that they added this crappy new "feature" without the ability to turn it off. What 17 year old developer thought everyone wanted it? Jeez...

We do not work for Apple but volunteer our time.

So to honest , " What 17 year old developer thought everyone wanted it? Jeez... " we can not answer that question.

Perhaps the user ( you ) would be better served by asking Apple directly

1 - Get Support Choose a product and we’ll find you the best solution.Start now and open an Apple Support Ticket as they are Apple Employees to deal will these types of issues . 

2 - Product Feedback - Apple

Dec 14, 2022 6:09 AM in response to stumpjumper

I likewise wish a way to permanently disable this.

In my case, 100% of the links I add to internal, work emails are links to password-protected websites: BitBucket, Allspice, a private Google Drive etc. The link previews are inevitably ugly "login to view this content" boxes which are LESS than useful, because the raw link actually exposes useful information: repository, branch, filename etc.

Apple has actively reduced the amount of useful information that readers can view in these emails, and they did it to make our work computers act like frigging iPads.

Nov 7, 2022 6:13 AM in response to leroydouglas

Thank you for your response, but you must not be seeing what I see.

Like I said, rich text emails are *automatically* adding the Link Preview — see screenshot below. And I have to *manually* remove it by clicking "Convert to Plain Link"

My intention is to NOT have Mail automatically add the Link Preview. But there is no setting to change this.

If someone has figured out how to turn this feature off, please let me know. It is annoying.

Mar 25, 2024 12:33 AM in response to stumpjumper

This question appear many times in apple community and all say there is no good solution but a solution exist:

type in terminal:

defaults write com.apple.mail DisableInlineAttachmentViewing -bool yes

and to return to normal behaviour:

defaults write com.apple.mail DisableInlineAttachmentViewing -bool no

Have a best day without automatic link

Solution found here:

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/24569/turn-off-automatic-preview-in-apple-mail

Mar 27, 2024 5:37 PM in response to peterlovs

peterlovs wrote:

It must be because Apple has a business model behind tracking server-calls on the images within our inboxes.

I click "convert to plain link" from your drop-down menu +20 times a day.
Please, Apple. STOP your persuasive image-preview.

It must be because you don’t bother to read a thread before adding to it that you don’t know how to turn the feature off.

How to Disable Automatic Link Previews in MacOS Ventura

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.