Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where is Desktop?

I am now in Mac OS 13.0.   Desktop no longer appears as a Location in a Finder window.   I like having Desktop as a Location in Finder windows.

How do I get Desktop back in Locations in Finder windows?

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Nov 5, 2022 10:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 7, 2022 12:02 PM

Then you get to the desktop via the iCloud Drive icon in the Favorites of the sidebar.

I don't have the Desktop activated but only a couple of test folders but the process is the same:

You add the iCloud Drive to the sidebar in Finder's General settings:

15 replies

Nov 8, 2022 1:55 PM in response to Old Toad

Now here is a new oddity. What I see in the Finder window is not what I see on the Desktop.

On the Desktop I have a few folders and two PDFs. When I open a Finder window to iCloud Drive>Desktop, I do not see the two PDFs. Instead I see the folders, a Word file, and an Excel file. On the Desktop I do not see the Word and Excel files.

What the heck is going on?

Nov 8, 2022 2:14 PM in response to R_55a

Further information here. After my last post, I created a new folder on the Desktop. This one I see there along with the other folders. But this new folder does not appear in the Finder window for iCloud Drive>Desktop. I am guessing that I would have to go through Safari to upload this folder to the iCloud Drive. If so, then I expect that, when I go through Safari to my iCloud Drive, I will likely find the Word and Excel documents that do not appear on the Desktop.

To me, this would mean that I have two Desktops, the one that I see in my monitor and the other in the iCloud Drive. It's very confusing.

Nov 9, 2022 12:22 PM in response to Old Toad

Here is a related question. I am quite sure that I had had a different folder in Locations in the Sidebar of the Finder window. This particular folder is in my User account. It is a folder to which I have to go fairly often. Having it in Locations saves me the time in clicking on the "Macintosh HD" location and then navigating to the desired folder.

I would much like to have this user-account folder and the non-iCloud Desktop appear in Locations. Is that possible any more?

Nov 16, 2022 9:53 AM in response to Old Toad

Now I do not see what I thought I had.

In my browser I go to iCloud.com> Your iCloud Storage.  In there I have four items.  Three are applications.  One is Documents.  None is Desktop.

In System Settings>iCloud I do not see either Desktop or Documents.

In Finder>iCloud>iCloud Drive the Desktop and Documents folders are there.

I went into iCloud.com and Ssytem Settings in order to remove Desktop and Documents from iCloud.  I need those two folders more in Finder>Locations.  Now I cannot find them.  

What am I missing?

(I am now in OS 13.0.1.)

Where is Desktop?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.