You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple 4K TV (2022) remote disconnecting

I’ve only had my new Apple TV, which was just released on Friday and already the new remote has disconnected several times on its first day. My old HD with remote, very rarely had a disconnection anyone else having this issue it’s only been out a couple of days. It’s completely charged 100%. Please post.

Posted on Nov 6, 2022 4:27 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 8, 2022 2:23 AM

Thanks for your reply. I found that information when I was troubleshooting the remote kept disconnecting over the day over three times. I then took the remote from my older HD model and it’s been working fine for the last couple of days without disconnecting so therefore I am assuming that the new remote is faulty. I called Apple and they’re sending a replacement hope it’s not something that’s prevalent in other new remotes.

57 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 8, 2022 2:23 AM in response to Rob_H1

Thanks for your reply. I found that information when I was troubleshooting the remote kept disconnecting over the day over three times. I then took the remote from my older HD model and it’s been working fine for the last couple of days without disconnecting so therefore I am assuming that the new remote is faulty. I called Apple and they’re sending a replacement hope it’s not something that’s prevalent in other new remotes.

Dec 6, 2022 8:05 PM in response to Brad White

After all the troubleshooting, updating to the latest TVOS, moving it closer to my couch, even replacing the remote, the problem continued. I decided to visit an Apple Store and get the Apple TV replaced. It has been a week, and the new Apple TV works fine without the remote issue. Hopefully it will be fine from now on.

If your Apple TV has the same problem and the troubleshooting won't work, get it replaced before the warranty expires. You don't deserve a defective product.

Nov 26, 2022 3:29 PM in response to niceguyscott

I'm beginning to suspect the range issue is with the Apple TV's Bluetooth. I have issues with Airpods and with a Sony Playstation controller. The range is dreadful especially compared with using my Airpods with my iPhone. I can literally leave my iPhone in the lounge and still get Bluetooth reception to my Airpods in the kitchen through multiple walls. If I'm lying on the sofa, facing the Apple TV, I can cut reception to the Airpods by crossing my feet across the 'line of sight' path to the Apple TV. The same happens with the controller.

Dec 4, 2022 8:59 PM in response to Rob_H1

I’m having a similar issue. This USB-C remote just disconnects and then won’t do anything. I tried the re-pair and it went ahead an re-paired but was weird and only registered a few random button inputs (ignoring 75%) on the ATV (2022) and then disconnected. This is defective. I can control the ATV with remote apps or with iPhone control panel remote just fine.

Dec 16, 2022 4:13 AM in response to Vince1658

update, I got my Apple TV replaced, remote worked for a week and now not working again! This Apple TV is located in the same place I had my previous two Apple TV models which worked perfectly.

To prove this I swapped the 2022 model with my 2015 model in the bedroom and the issue followed the 2022 model and the 2015 model performed perfectly.

I hope Apple recognises there is something wrong with the 2022 Apple TV model and stops blaming the customers house for interference.

please sort this issue!

Dec 18, 2022 4:08 PM in response to rexet_fr

After replacing the Apple TV, this remote problem never happened again to my new one. I suggest everyone who has this problem go get your Apple TV replaced, and keep replacing it until you receive one that works. Apple will eventually try to fix the remote connection problem after they start to feel pain replacing their many defective products.

Jan 2, 2023 10:07 AM in response to Brad White

This discussion has bee very helpful as I have the same problem. I bought a new 2022 Apple TV 4K in early December. It worked fine for a couple of weeks, then two times the remote failed to turn on the Sony TV and Apple TV. I unplugged the HDMI cable and power cord to the Apple TV to get them working. After the second failure, I bought a replacement HDMI cable thinking CEC might have a problem with the old cable. Same problem.

After I got it working after the second failure, it worked fine for a few days, then I got the "Remote disconnected." I charged the remote and followed the re-pair instructions. It worked fine for 10 seconds and then "Remote disconnected." I re-paired it a second time and it worked fine for another 10 seconds and disconnected.

My old Roku Ultra worked fine nonstop for five years. I just wanted to upgrade to 4K. My previous Apple TV worked fine for about 10 years. My wife's Sharp Roku TV (built-in Roku) works fine.

What a piece of junk this 2022 Apple TV 4K is! Come on, Apple. What has happened to your legendary quality!?

To make it worse, all of these fixes are a HUGE pain in the neck because I have the Apple TV attached to the back of the 65" TV on the wall with Velcro. Every time it fails, I have to get out my step ladder to access the unit and wires behind the TV.

Jan 3, 2023 4:57 PM in response to Brad White

I bought the Apple TV 4K 2022 and had same problem. Only way to reset it was to unplug Apple TV and wait 6 seconds. it worked for about 5 minutes.

I bought another 2022 remote thinking that was the problem. Nope.

The new 2022 remote works flawless on my 2017 4k.

The remote on the 2017 I used with the Apple 4k 2022 and seems to work fine.

I think it is a Bluetooth issue being compatible on certain units,

Maybe coincidentally??. I just purchased air pods pro 2022 and the problem occurred. Maybe Bluetooth interference with AirPods trying to find Apple TV?

Wondering if any one else having this problem has AirPods?

Hopefully a firmware update will fix problem

Jan 14, 2023 7:29 AM in response to Brad White

I have the same issue. I believe it’s the apple tv not the remote. Remote works great with 2017 4k apple tv.

I used the 2017 remote(black)

on the 2022 apple tv and it worked great for about 2 weeks then it became unstable and hard to control, jumping all over the place.

I am returning the apple tv for replacement and see what happens…?

Jan 16, 2023 6:26 AM in response to Brad White

Wondering, people with new airpods, if that is the problem because they continuously search for apple tv. Or another bluetooth device that is doing the same. Maybe competing with apple tv remote.

On my second apple tv 2022

Turned off airpods search in settings on the apple tv. See what happens.

Apple told me to wait for software update.

Feb 22, 2023 2:47 PM in response to Brad White

I purchased new Apple TV4k and remote kept dropping off. Followed many suggestions i red here but no fix. Finally called apple and after tech working with me he decided I need to turn it in and got new replacement. Got the replacement very quickly “ thank you Apple “! All worked well for a week then same thing started to happen again. Now I found out that when it drops out bring it close to the Apple TV it connects but if I move five feet away it disconnects again. Then while is connected I go to setting and re start Apple TV soon it connects again works for a week or so and disconnects again, but fast way back is to the re start tv. Not best option but for now it works. Hope someone at apple reads this and works to find solutions as is very very annoying

Apple 4K TV (2022) remote disconnecting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.