Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Revert back from official (not beta) Ventura to Monterey

My Mac with a M1 chip came with Monetery and I have always installed the updates.

I have just upgraded to the Ventura via the updates.

Is there a way to go back to Monterey? Without wiping the drive, but also keeping all my current apps and documents etc?

I didn't back anything up to the time machine since I've had it, so I can't do anything that way.

Thanks for any help.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 13.0

Posted on Nov 6, 2022 8:17 AM

12 replies

Nov 6, 2022 5:38 PM in response to DoogyDawg

Hi DoogyDawg,

You can't truly revert an upgrade (downgrade and keep your data). However, you can install a fresh copy of macOS Monterey, and then import your data (either from a previous backup, or manually).

Please complete the below steps to describe how your Mac's internal drive is set up. If it is sufficiently large, you could install a separate copy of macOS Monterey on the side and then manually move your data. Otherwise, you'll need an external drive to help facilitate the downgrade.

1. Eject and disconnect all external drives.
  2. Open Terminal, located in Applications -> Utilities.
  3. Type "diskutil list" without the quotes and hit Enter (Return).
  4. Post the output here.

Nov 8, 2022 5:03 AM in response to Encryptor5000

Hi,

Sorry for getting back so late.

I went the wiping the HD way.

I saved all the bits I wanted to keep on an external HD.

I have then wiped the HD and reinstalled from the recovery option when you hold down the power button.

I have not moved all my stuff back over.

Can I still get any updates (like security updates etc) on Monterey now? Or is it just stuck with the version my mac came with.

Also, if I throw this in here..in my applications, the clock is missing, as in the image.

Many thanks for any help.

Nov 6, 2022 8:40 AM in response to DoogyDawg

DoogyDawg wrote:

My Mac with a M1 chip came with Monetery and I have always installed the updates.
I have just upgraded to the Ventura via the updates.
Is there a way to go back to Monterey? Without wiping the drive, but also keeping all my current apps and documents etc?
I didn't back anything up to the time machine since I've had it, so I can't do anything that way.
Thanks for any help.

No. The drive has to be wiped to fall back.

Nov 8, 2022 5:59 AM in response to Barney-15E

This is what I'm wondering.

My mac came with Monterey but upgraded it to venture, didn't like that and wanted to go back to Monterey, which I did by wiping the HD and then reinstalling it.

If I have wiped my HD and then chosen to reinstall it via the installation option, would it have come as it was when I had it, or would it have been installed with everything up to date, as in all the security updates?

Hope that makes sense.

Nov 8, 2022 8:43 AM in response to Barney-15E

I reinstalled it via holding the power button down and the options, then reinstall Monterey.

In applications, I am missing the clock, numbers and weather.

I just tried reinstalling again, and this time it gave me all the updates for safari etc to download once it finished installing.

But I am still missing the above clock etc.

I found numbers in the app store, so I downloaded that.

It just seems to be missing the native clock app (as in the image I uploaded, and weather app.

Strange.

Revert back from official (not beta) Ventura to Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.