Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

downgrading from ventura to monterey

What is the easiest way to reinstall Monterey12 from Ventura 13. I have no data to save, just prefer Monterey the way it came originally on my macbook air (M1 2020)

MacBook Air 13″, 12.6

Posted on Jun 10, 2023 6:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 13, 2023 3:27 PM

Hey canazimbo!

Sorry to hear that, well it’s worked for me on M1 erasing via Recovery Assistant, then you’re asked to Authorize or Deauthorize, then given the prompt to Exit To Recovery where you can Reinstall Monterey, has your Mac ever had Monterey on it? But that was a while ago, things change, if Apple wants it to be available it will, if not, it won’t. I think, depending on your security settings, (And if this Mac was ever on Monterey), you maybe able to add a new Volume to your Mac, download Monterey and install it on the new volume, not sure if that can still be done, but you can most definitely install Monterey on an external drive and boot up from that drive if you need to as well.

How to download macOS - Apple Support

https://appleinsider.com/articles/21/01/03/how-to-boot-an-apple-silicon-mac-from-an-external-drive

Your security settings may have to be adjusted, anyhow, hope you figure something out!

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 13, 2023 3:27 PM in response to canazimbo

Hey canazimbo!

Sorry to hear that, well it’s worked for me on M1 erasing via Recovery Assistant, then you’re asked to Authorize or Deauthorize, then given the prompt to Exit To Recovery where you can Reinstall Monterey, has your Mac ever had Monterey on it? But that was a while ago, things change, if Apple wants it to be available it will, if not, it won’t. I think, depending on your security settings, (And if this Mac was ever on Monterey), you maybe able to add a new Volume to your Mac, download Monterey and install it on the new volume, not sure if that can still be done, but you can most definitely install Monterey on an external drive and boot up from that drive if you need to as well.

How to download macOS - Apple Support

https://appleinsider.com/articles/21/01/03/how-to-boot-an-apple-silicon-mac-from-an-external-drive

Your security settings may have to be adjusted, anyhow, hope you figure something out!

Jun 10, 2023 7:36 PM in response to canazimbo

Hey there! Good question!

If you do need to downgrade on an M1:

First off, Monterey has to have been on this Mac before at some point, you can downgrade only to the OS versions it shipped with, and no previous OS version.

Note that you do have to erase your Mac to do this.

First, make sure you follow these steps:

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support

But since you have no data to save, I would just make sure to sign any user accounts out of their Apple ID’s to ensure Find My isn’t enabled, and Purchase authorizations and iMessage/FaceTime authorizations are disabled.

Next, shut down your Mac, then press and hold the power button until you see startup options appear.

Click Options > Continue, if/when asked to choose a user, on the top menu, choose Recovery Assistant > Erase Mac > Erase……After a reboot you may or may not be asked to Activate Mac, and/or Exit To Recovery, you can do both.

If your Mac boots to a folder and a question mark…..shut down, press and hold power again to get to Startup options > Options > Continue.

Once in Recovery Mode, make sure you’re connected to a network and choose Reinstall Mac OS.

With previous Macs, and OS’, there were different startup options to get to either the current, latest, or earliest possible OS.

With M1 and later, I believe recovery mode should default to the previous OS version to allow a downgrade. So once reinstalled, you can just set it up again. Hope that helps!

Jun 11, 2023 2:56 AM in response to canazimbo

In the follow link are tow very different types of computer involved in the downgrade from Ventura to Monterey.

One method is specifically for Apple Silicon Computers and the other is for Intel Based Computers.

Please use the version specific to your computers type of computer

As alway, make at least two TM Backups each to separate drives Before proceeding

Jun 13, 2023 2:40 PM in response to DiZoE

Thank you DiZoE for your detailed advise. I tried it but the problem is, that, apparently with the Silicon M1 system you can delete the Ventura system but cannot reload the previous Monterey. It automatically loads the latest operating system which is Ventura. And apparently the Monterey system will be taken off completely in the near future.

Canazimbo

downgrading from ventura to monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.