Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

iOS - Google Search Window Disappears Behind Safari Address Bar

After the latest iOS update version 16.1 (20B82), when I use Safari to access Google, as soon as I tap into the search window, the search window disappears behind the Safari address bar at the top of the screen, so I can’t see what I’m typing. Seems like a bug, because it did not use to do this. Is any one else having this problem?

iPhone 14 Pro, iOS 16

Posted on Nov 6, 2022 1:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 2, 2023 4:17 AM

this is still the same, im on iphone 15 on IOS 17.1.2 and this stupid problem is still there, How are you supposed to see what your typing if you hide the google box ? its typing blind? how is safari not cured this problem as this thread seems to be from January, its DECEMBER!!!

240 replies

Dec 11, 2022 4:11 PM in response to whydavewhy

I am also having this issue and it is beyond annoying. And of course there seems to be no solution and apple support seems to have no clue as to what the problem is. The suggestions given to you to help fix the problem aren’t even related to the problem you’re having. Lame and annoying. All we want is to type into Google and being able to see what we are typing.

Dec 11, 2022 11:15 PM in response to QOE505

The advisor was wrong. My wife and I have the same model iPhone 14 Pro, withe the exact same iOS version, and we both have the exact same problem. Here is a work-around that I have found so far...

1. Tap the Safari icon.
  2. Open Google.
  3. Tap in the search window.
  4. Pull the sheen downward, and the hidden search window appears again.

Now you can type your search words, without it disappearing.

Still, this is not how it used to work, but at least it's only a couple extra taps. I will contact Apple as well.

Dec 11, 2022 4:29 PM in response to Ulin27

Ulin, Wavelengths suggestion worked the best above. Turn JavaScript off. But now I’m not able to get any of the Google news feeds that pop up when you’re typing things into your search bar. Why can’t Apple fix this problem. They created this problem. They must have incompetent people working there. I just don’t get it. THIS ALL HAPPENED EXACTLY WHEN THEY DID THEIR 16.1.1 UPATE. Someone from Apple tried to tell me to contact Google. This is not Googles problem. I’m starting to lose faith in Apple.

Nov 21, 2022 9:56 AM in response to wavelength28

All; So after trying a bunch of things, I have found a way to stop this behavior, so that the Google search bar/field/window does NOT disappear.

If you go to:

settings/Safari/Advanced, then toggle Javascript to OFF, the Google search bar remains centered when typing in the bar.

However, any site that uses Javascript, ironically enough such as this page we are now on, does not work properly.

So hopefully, one of the Apple Javascript experts can help us?

Dec 11, 2022 5:51 PM in response to Dileer

I did turn off Java but yes. It’s used so much for webpages, it’s moot to turn it off. Short of placing the address bar at the bottom (which I don’t like), there’s not other way I have found to fix this. It seems like a simple fix on apples part but for some reason, this is not being addressed by them. Frustrating.

Dec 11, 2022 7:13 PM in response to Ulin27

I took off the Java Script and it all seemed different. So I’m back to where I was before. With the search bar at the top hidden. I literally have to use my microphone to search on something. I don’t want it at the bottom either. I would like Apple to tell us what the problem is. Are we the only people in this group that have this problem? I find that hard to believe. I guess we have to wait. I tried switching it to chrome, but the problem still exists.

Dec 16, 2022 11:45 AM in response to 3X Champ

Hi 3x, I just talked to Apple. And they convinced me that it’s a problem that Apple created, but Google has to keep up with. In other words, now the software that Google uses is not compatible to Apples. However, the guy on the phone gave me a temp fix. You go to Safari to desktop version and then toggle it on. It’s way too small for my eyes. But it definitely is a fix until they figure it out. Has anybody contacted Google about this?

Nov 8, 2022 2:33 PM in response to whydavewhy

Hi whydavewhy,

Thanks for posting in Apple Support Communities. Since it sounds like this happens only in Safari and possibly only the Google website specifically, we'd recommend starting with the guidance from If Safari isn't loading websites or quits on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. All steps there should help, but clearing website data using the steps below may be particularly helpful if this is related to the website itself.

Clear website data
You can clear website data occasionally to improve Safari performance.
1. Go to Settings > Safari.
2. Tap Clear History and Website Data.
3. Tap Clear History and Data to confirm.

Best of luck.

iOS - Google Search Window Disappears Behind Safari Address Bar

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.