Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The dead logic board of MacBook pro 2020

On 27th October my mac pro simply shut down without any reaction to the power button and other suggestions that apple has mentioned on its site.

I live in Paris so I searched for an icare center and gave them my mac for repair. I asked for a backup of the data. They told me it takes 5 to 7 days to check up on the mac carefully and then 2 days for repair.

By the evening of the very day, they sent me an email that claimed they changed or reinstalled a new chip in the power system, and my mac run perfectly. 

The next day I picked my mac up with zero cost money, and after 3 days the same story happened!

Again on the first Nov., I gave my mac to the same repair center. after one day they sent me a bill of 765€ with a diagnosis of a dead logic board plus 180€ for saving my data which is refundable if they didn't succeed to do so!

First: my MacBook is 2020, and as I know, 2 years of a common user can not damage the motherboard.

Two: if there was such a problem why apple service center didn't notice at first and just changed a chip for free?

Three: if there was not a problem the wrong course of action may have caused this damage. 

I sent the director of the center an email to ask for the reason and in return, he told me: “ the chip that manages the power supply, is located on the motherboard. If the power supply chip had gone to safety, then the motherboard had a problem. We reset it and it worked (often this fixes the problem permanently), we were not going to give you a motherboard issue at that time since the computer was working again, at the risk of the failure occurring again. ”

And further he told me they were kind enough by not charging me for the first time!

What I needed was an expert to diagnose my laptop’s problem and fix it not kindness. 

Is this normal that Apple repair service is working based on trial and error method for repairing laptops and if the repair didn’t go well, ok now we can replace it with a price that is very close to the real worth of your laptop!

That is my responsibility to have a backup. So true and no arguments, but in the first repair I asked for a backup and when I addressed this in my email he told me that because the mac was running well that was not necessary to make a backup. 

Just can say if it is a problem with the mac that's so embarrassing such a product stop functioning just after 2 years.

And if there is a fault of bad diagnosis and wrong repair, again is so disgraceful for such a brand as Apple.

2 questions:

1. Is it reasonable to fix it with this price?

2. Is it possible to ask just save the data and not logic board replacement? Is it even possible?

Thank you all.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Nov 7, 2022 4:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 7, 2022 7:28 AM

ElnazSH wrote:

2 questions:
2. Is it possible to ask just save the data and not logic board replacement? Is it even possible?

Thank you all.

For hardware issue— over the counter with your local Apple store or AASP —will have the best insight to your way forward.

You can ask then about backing up/preserving your data if that is possible—

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Outside the USA

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Learn how to get your Mac fixed and how much it will cost. Mac Repair Service Mac Service & Repair - Apple Support

Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support

Do not wait for a catastrophic failure to get the backup religion—

If you value your user data:

3-2-1 Backup Strategy: three copies of your data, two different methods, and one offsite.

More than one device, more than one backup methodology.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 7, 2022 7:28 AM in response to ElnazSH

ElnazSH wrote:

2 questions:

Thank you all.

For hardware issue— over the counter with your local Apple store or AASP —will have the best insight to your way forward.

You can ask then about backing up/preserving your data if that is possible—

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Outside the USA

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Learn how to get your Mac fixed and how much it will cost. Mac Repair Service Mac Service & Repair - Apple Support

Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support

Do not wait for a catastrophic failure to get the backup religion—

If you value your user data:

3-2-1 Backup Strategy: three copies of your data, two different methods, and one offsite.

More than one device, more than one backup methodology.

Nov 7, 2022 8:04 PM in response to ElnazSH

Sounds like you must have an Intel Mac and they performed an SMC Reset which any user can perform which would explain why they did not charge you. Plus an SMC Reset can resolve power on & charging issues with Intel Macs. There is no SMC Reset for Apple Silicon Macs. An SMC Reset is one of the first steps Apple or an AASP will perform along with a PRAM Reset. This AASP is doing things completely by the book here. Unfortunately for some of these power issues, it can be hard to determine whether the Logic Board, I/O Board, or Battery (the latter includes the entire Top Case palmrest, keyboard, trackpad -- maybe even Touchbar & speakers) is at fault with a power issue especially if the problem disappears so easily & quickly.

I can tell you from personal experience supporting our organization's thousands of Macs, that the Apple USB-C Macs are very quirky when it comes to power, charging, and powering on.

The dead logic board of MacBook pro 2020

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.