Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The speaker on my I phone works fine, but when I put the phone to my ear, I can barely hear the person on the other line.

The speaker on my I phone works fine, but when I put the phone to my ear, I can barely hear the person on the other line. Solution for this?

iPhone 11, iOS 14

Posted on Nov 7, 2022 8:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 7, 2022 9:13 AM

Do you have a case or a screen protector on the iPhone? Try removing them to ensure they are not blocking the the ear speaker. Also, that volume can only be adjusted when in a phone call. When in the call, put the phone up to your ear and try increasing the volume with the side buttons and see if that helps.

The Related Article above your name in your post also provides other troubleshooting steps, and if they fail to correct the problem, they recommend that you contact Apple Support. You can use the link at the top of the page, or if you have an Apple Store close by, make a Genius Bar appointment to allow Apple to examine the device. They will explain your options.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 7, 2022 9:13 AM in response to cschall7

Do you have a case or a screen protector on the iPhone? Try removing them to ensure they are not blocking the the ear speaker. Also, that volume can only be adjusted when in a phone call. When in the call, put the phone up to your ear and try increasing the volume with the side buttons and see if that helps.

The Related Article above your name in your post also provides other troubleshooting steps, and if they fail to correct the problem, they recommend that you contact Apple Support. You can use the link at the top of the page, or if you have an Apple Store close by, make a Genius Bar appointment to allow Apple to examine the device. They will explain your options.

The speaker on my I phone works fine, but when I put the phone to my ear, I can barely hear the person on the other line.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.