Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie audio suddenly not working, the visual inflections are gone?

Hi, I was editing a video with separate audio, and when I added some new audio and closed and reopened iMovies, the original sounds seems like it doesn't work anymore. The visual inflections that was originally there is gone. Any idea what can cause this?

I have attached an image of what I mean by the inflections are gone on the audio bar. As you can see the green bar is empty? Whereas before when the audio was working it has these inflections/spikes to indicate the volume of the audio.

Posted on Nov 7, 2022 1:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 7, 2022 1:33 PM

Music that is DRM (Digital Rights Management) protected won’t play or show waveforms in imovie. Apple Music is DRM protected,for example, and won’t play in iMovie.

Also, click on the Settings button located above and to the right of the time line. In the dialogue box that appears, make sure that the box is checked that says Show Waveforms. That should cause the waveforms to be displayed.

If the above doesn’t solve it try deleting preferences by opening iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and selecting to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new blank library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Now see if the waveforms appear. Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will cause no data loss.

Also, try creating a new project and see if the waveforms appear there.

— Rich

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 7, 2022 1:33 PM in response to iMovieUswe

Music that is DRM (Digital Rights Management) protected won’t play or show waveforms in imovie. Apple Music is DRM protected,for example, and won’t play in iMovie.

Also, click on the Settings button located above and to the right of the time line. In the dialogue box that appears, make sure that the box is checked that says Show Waveforms. That should cause the waveforms to be displayed.

If the above doesn’t solve it try deleting preferences by opening iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and selecting to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new blank library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Now see if the waveforms appear. Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will cause no data loss.

Also, try creating a new project and see if the waveforms appear there.

— Rich

iMovie audio suddenly not working, the visual inflections are gone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.