Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery drain after MacOS Monterey 12.4 upgrade

Hi Everyone,

After I upgraded my Macbook Pro 13inch 2018 model (Intel i7) to Monterey version 12.4 my battery lasts for 15-20 minutes at most. I never had this problem before while running Catalina 10.15

This is really bad as I can't do effective presentations to customers (of which I do a lot) before I need plug in the power.

I've noticed that the internal fan runs for the majority of the time that it's on and is the main contributor to the battery drain. This really needs to be fixed, I can't use my Macbook like this.

I'm at a point where I really want to downgrade back to Catalina but very hesitant to go this route as it's effectively going backwards and could affect my current data.

Anyone know of a fix or experiencing this too?

Posted on Nov 8, 2022 12:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 9, 2022 12:58 AM

You have lots and lots of old stuff. It looks like this system have been upgraded year over year and OS after OS.

As you do that, over the years you accumulate old system modifications that, at some point, will cease to be compatible with a new version.

Besides, you have this "antivirus" sentinelone, and disabled the built-in security - this is a poor choice that increases your system vulnerability and decreases performance.

Effective defenses against malware and other threats

I will have to go now, I will come back with more details in later today.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 9, 2022 12:58 AM in response to Julian-Daniels

You have lots and lots of old stuff. It looks like this system have been upgraded year over year and OS after OS.

As you do that, over the years you accumulate old system modifications that, at some point, will cease to be compatible with a new version.

Besides, you have this "antivirus" sentinelone, and disabled the built-in security - this is a poor choice that increases your system vulnerability and decreases performance.

Effective defenses against malware and other threats

I will have to go now, I will come back with more details in later today.

Nov 9, 2022 12:03 AM in response to Julian-Daniels

Luis,

Thank you for your insights. I upgraded to Monterey 12.6.1 yesterday and there is a slight improvement only I have to say. My internal fan still spins up at more intervals than it used on earlier versions of MacOS and causes the battery drain.

See attached Etrecheck report as requested.

Battery drain after MacOS Monterey 12.4 upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.