Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I copy photos from my MacBook to a flash drive INCLUDING PHOTO INFORMATION?

I am trying to copy all photos AND photo information from my MacBook to a flash drive.

I have done the following:

Command A to select all photos

Export unmodified original for 175 photos

NOW I AM STUCK

The following shows up:

??? Export IPTC as XMP ???

??? File Name: Sequential ???

??? Sequential Prefix ???

??? Subfolder Format ???

I am using a MacBook MacOS Catalina  Version 10.15.7
I am using a new flash drive that I just purchased.
Thank you.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Nov 8, 2022 8:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 9, 2022 9:53 AM

Each of the flash drives needs to be formatted at ExFAT in Disk Utility, doing this makes the flash drive readable by Macs & PCs. This is a simple process, simply open Disk Utility (Applications - Utilities - Disk Utility) and click the flash drive you want to format. Then select Erase (upper right of Disk Utility) and in the format field select ExFAT and click OK and it will take a few moments to format. Once you have done 1 or 2 it will be second nature. While you are in Disk Utility that is a good time to rename the drive, you can name it any thing you want like, "Uncle Bill", "Mikey", "Suzanne" etc.. so then when you copy the photos to each drive you know who's pictures you want to do.

Personally I'd have imported all these photos into the Photos app to organize them but it seems like you have not done that. If you have not, it's not too late and will make organizing and managing your photos much easier. If you are not familiar with Photos it is already pre-installed on your computer. You can find the manual at Photos User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 9, 2022 9:53 AM in response to Maryann108

Each of the flash drives needs to be formatted at ExFAT in Disk Utility, doing this makes the flash drive readable by Macs & PCs. This is a simple process, simply open Disk Utility (Applications - Utilities - Disk Utility) and click the flash drive you want to format. Then select Erase (upper right of Disk Utility) and in the format field select ExFAT and click OK and it will take a few moments to format. Once you have done 1 or 2 it will be second nature. While you are in Disk Utility that is a good time to rename the drive, you can name it any thing you want like, "Uncle Bill", "Mikey", "Suzanne" etc.. so then when you copy the photos to each drive you know who's pictures you want to do.

Personally I'd have imported all these photos into the Photos app to organize them but it seems like you have not done that. If you have not, it's not too late and will make organizing and managing your photos much easier. If you are not familiar with Photos it is already pre-installed on your computer. You can find the manual at Photos User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

Nov 9, 2022 3:13 PM in response to Maryann108

If you want to export the original file then select the option to include the XML file. However, not all apps can read the XML file and associate it with the image file. Photos can as long as they two files are imported together.

Otherwise export them as jpegs with the following settings but JPEG Quality set to Maximum:

Movie/Video files should be exported as Original files.

Nov 8, 2022 9:24 AM in response to Maryann108

And what is the issue?

Those are options for you to select, or set. If you have no need for them you can leave them as is.

IPTC is the photo metadata. If you need it in XMP format then check that box, otherwise leave it as is.

The File name option determines how the photo files names will be constructed. Wether they'll have a sequential number or not. 001, 002, 003, etc...

Sequential prefix adds a specific set of characters to the beginning of the file name, like "IMG_" or "PHOTO_ if you want that, again entirely up to you.

Subfolder format, defines wether you want to use the Photos app album sorting for folders or just dump all the photos in a single folder.

Nov 8, 2022 1:09 PM in response to Maryann108

Phil,

The only piece of information that I want is the name of the person. 

I have a photo folder on my MacBook that I want to share with family.

The photos are very, very old family photos and if I was able to identify the people in the photo, I have added the name of the person to the photo.  All I care about is that name. 

Example: the name Uncle Jim shows up at the top of photo if I pull it up on my MacBook.

Uncle Jim

June 25, 2020 at 11:15:33 AM    155 of 175

The photo would show up here

I seem to be able to copy the photos to the flash drive

But I can’t get the above info to show up on the flash drive.

I tried clicking xmp, and I get a completely blank page.

I tried IPTC, nothing.

Any suggestions? 

Nov 8, 2022 3:49 PM in response to Maryann108

You are not telling us where on the Mac the Photos are stored or what is the format of the flash drive you just bought. Without this basic information we can only guess what the problem is. Also it would be helpful if we knew what you intend to do with the flash drive, for example if this is some form or backup it's a VERY poor idea. Or if you intend to give the flash drive to someone else that has another computer.

Nov 9, 2022 7:22 AM in response to rkaufmann87

I am at a point in life where I want to share my photos with family.  Some are photos that I took way back when their children were young. And some are copies of very old family photos that I found and identified in my genealogy study over the years. 

I set up albums on my MacBook, one for each family member.  Each album contains their personal photos plus these genealogy photos. I have identified each person in those old genealogy photos so I want that information to be on the photos that I copy.  

It is important that the photo information be copied from my photos to the flash drive because I cannot type in every bit of information on each copy. 

I purchased 10 flash drives on Amazon. I never considered that they needed to be formatted. 

I am working on my MacBook but I never considered what type of computer that the recipients work on. 

Is it possible for me to do this???  Or do you suggest some other way. I would appreciate any direction that you can give me. 

Thank you for your help. 

Nov 9, 2022 11:45 AM in response to Maryann108

The extra info for the photo such as the name of the person in it, is part of the metadata. Either in IPTC or XMP format.

However, that information will not appear outside of the Photos app, unless whatever piece of software used to view the photo can find and read that data.

There is no way to add that data to say the photo file name. You would need to export each photo manually, and manually add the information to the file name. Or edit the photo and add the name manually to it.

The Photos App adds that information and reads it back to display it on each picture. Most regular photo viewers will just show the photo without any extra data on it.

How do I copy photos from my MacBook to a flash drive INCLUDING PHOTO INFORMATION?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.