Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

black screen when the screen brightness is minimal

hi! when I decrease the brightness of the screen, the screen turns black on the very last press. Has anyone encountered this?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 13.0

Posted on Nov 8, 2022 1:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 9, 2022 6:08 AM

When you turn the brightness all the way down you are turning off the LCD Panel's backlight which will make the video on the display very faint & hard to see, or with some displays & room lighting conditions it will appear completely dark. The computer is still powered & running just the same. I know this has been the norm for over 20 years, but maybe your laptop is one out of millions where it worked differently until now.

If you have an Intel Mac, then you can try an SMC Reset and PRAM Resets (not an option with Apple Silicon Macs).

If you feel your computer has a problem, then have Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider examine the Mac. You can also provide Apple with product feedback here (Apple won't respond):

Product Feedback - Apple

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 9, 2022 6:08 AM in response to dahatired

When you turn the brightness all the way down you are turning off the LCD Panel's backlight which will make the video on the display very faint & hard to see, or with some displays & room lighting conditions it will appear completely dark. The computer is still powered & running just the same. I know this has been the norm for over 20 years, but maybe your laptop is one out of millions where it worked differently until now.

If you have an Intel Mac, then you can try an SMC Reset and PRAM Resets (not an option with Apple Silicon Macs).

If you feel your computer has a problem, then have Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider examine the Mac. You can also provide Apple with product feedback here (Apple won't respond):

Product Feedback - Apple

black screen when the screen brightness is minimal

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.