Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone as web cam

I am trying to use an old iPhone 7+ as a webcam for FaceTime etc.My iPhone 11 works fine but the 7+ doesn't seem to. can anyone enlighten me? Thanks in advance

Posted on Nov 8, 2022 9:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 8, 2022 9:38 PM

That feature is an iOS 16 feature. iOS 16 cannot be installed on an iPhone 7+. The iPhone 7+ can only go up to iOS version 15.7. This is the reason this feature works on your iPhone 11 with iOS 16 and not with your iPhone 7+ with iOS 15.7.

Axel F.

4 replies

Nov 8, 2022 9:37 PM in response to Paul Murrant

Hello,

I found this footnote in the macOS Ventura "New Features" page. I cannot give info on why this is, since none of us work for Apple, but this seems to be the cause overall.

macOS Ventura - New Features - Apple

"Use your iPhone as your webcam

Use the powerful iPhone camera system as your Mac webcam to do things that were never before possible with a webcam. It works wired or wirelessly, and your Mac can automatically switch to using iPhone as a camera input when you bring it close to your Mac.8"

Footnote 8:

"Available on iPhone Xr and later. Automatic camera switching occurs when iPhone is locked, in landscape orientation, stationary, and with the camera unobstructed."

I hope this helps.

iPhone as web cam

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.