Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

allow accessory to connect

After i updated to macos Ventura,everytime i connect a usb device i keep getting the message " allow accessory to connect". Unfortunately i cannot change this to "always",because that option is grey.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 13.0

Posted on Nov 9, 2022 6:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2022 9:53 AM

Hi eddy_y2k,

If your Mac is an Apple Silicon model this can be expected behavior. That said, you can tweak this option if you'd like. Check the settings below:

"If you prefer not to manually approve new devices every time you connect them, you can change this setting.

1. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Settings, then click Privacy & Security  in the sidebar. (You may need to scroll down.) 
  2. Click the pop-up menu next to “Allow accessories to connect,” then choose “Automatically when unlocked” or “Always.”

Cheers!

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 11, 2022 9:53 AM in response to eddy_y2k

Hi eddy_y2k,

If your Mac is an Apple Silicon model this can be expected behavior. That said, you can tweak this option if you'd like. Check the settings below:

"If you prefer not to manually approve new devices every time you connect them, you can change this setting.

1. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Settings, then click Privacy & Security  in the sidebar. (You may need to scroll down.) 
  2. Click the pop-up menu next to “Allow accessories to connect,” then choose “Automatically when unlocked” or “Always.”

Cheers!

Nov 11, 2022 11:59 AM in response to eddy_y2k

eddy_y2k,

Thanks. Next, check for any content or privacy restrictions that may be in place.

Set up content and privacy restrictions in Screen Time on Mac - Apple Support

"Set up content and privacy restrictions in Screen Time on Mac

In Screen Time on Mac, set restrictions for web content, purchases, apps, and more.

Before you can set up content and privacy restrictions, you need to turn on Screen Time. See Set up Screen Time for yourself or Set up Screen Time for a child.

Content & Privacy settings in Screen Time.

1. On your Mac, do one of the following:
    • If you’re using Family Sharing: Log in to your Mac user account, then make sure you’re signed in with your Apple ID.
    • If you aren’t using Family Sharing: Log in to a family member’s Mac user account.
  1. Choose Apple menu  > System Settings, then click Screen Time  in the sidebar. (You may need to scroll down.)
  2. If you’re using Family Sharing, click the Family Member pop-up menu on the right, then choose a family member.
  3. Click Content & Privacy, then turn it on if it’s not on already.
  4. To restrict web content, click Content Restrictions, then turn options on or off. See Change Content Restrictions settings in Screen Time.
  5. To restrict movies, TV shows, and app purchases, click Store Restrictions, then turn options on or off. See Change Store Restrictions settings in Screen Time.
  6. To restrict apps, click App Restrictions, then turn options on or off. See Change App Restrictions settings in Screen Time.
  7. To lock certain settings, click Preference Restrictions, then turn options on or off. See Change Preference Restrictions settings in Screen Time."

Take care.

Dec 11, 2022 8:48 AM in response to dialabrain

Simply stated...my iPhone starts charging and that is all.

It does not show up as a connected device.

I have latest SW on iMac-2019 and iPhone11. All have been restarted/rebooted.

The Apple Help indicates to change settings to Allow Accessories, but the setting isn't available to be changed.

I cannot access the "Allow Accessories" section within the System Settings --> Privacy & Security section. See screen shots.

Privacy & Security Section

Searching for allow accessories. Search results find 1 listing (left), but it doesn't show up in the settings (right).

Any other suggestions?

Dec 11, 2022 7:57 AM in response to hoohchichi

I have the same problem as well.

I have an older iMac from 2019. These models were based on intel processors, not the "Apple Silicon" mentioned in the help.

Did the recent Ventura OS just eliminate older legitimate Apple iMac Intel based computers from connecting to their own legitimate Apple iPhones? If so, that is terrible planning and communication.

Or, is there still some unexplained reason why many are no longer able to connect their iMac and iPhone.

Please advise.

allow accessory to connect

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.