Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple news app crashing.

This has been raised before in the forums but is long closed.

I have always had problems with Apple News App randomly crashing. Since the

last update to iOS 16.1 the crashes have become more frequent and annoying especially when scrolling through a list of articles and then met with a crash to home screen. On re-opening it goes back to the first article.

Looking at the App reviews several users are now recently reporting this anomaly. I have tried all the usual remedial measures but to no avail!

I have notified Apple yet again!!

PS: No problems with any other apps.

Posted on Nov 9, 2022 11:12 AM

19 replies

Nov 11, 2022 2:53 PM in response to Finchale

Hello Finchale,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities!

We want to help get the Apple News app working perfectly on your device.

Use these steps to reinstall the app if needed, which should resolve the issue and get it working normally without crashing:

"If an app on your iPhone or iPad doesn't work as expected, try this.

1. Close and reopen the app

Force the app to close. Then open the app to see if it works as expected.

2. Restart your device

Restart your iPhone or restart your iPad. Then open the app to see if it works as expected.

3. Check for updates

To see if updates are available for the app, open the App Store, tap your profile icon, then scroll down to see if updates are available. If updates aren't available for the app, update the software on your iPhone or iPad.

4. Delete the app, then redownload it

Delete the app. When you do this, you might lose data that was stored in the app. Then redownload the app. Then check to see if the problem with the app is fixed."

This Apple Support page has the full details: If an app on your iPhone or iPad stops responding, closes unexpectedly, or won’t open - Apple Support

Please let us know if you have further questions.

Cheers!

Nov 13, 2022 7:26 AM in response to Finchale

@Todd0213 recommended to contact “Official Apple Support”.  I have found that the support service is difficult 

to navigate and often inappropriate in situations like this where all remedial solutions have been tried and failed.

It is pointless having a live chat with an agent as well. 

I have however discovered  by using Product Feedback - Apple that this loads, what I think is a more appropriate link to alert Apple of a “bug” rather than have someone try to solve a widespread problem where all remedial actions have failed.  The Feed Back site allows input with respect to hardware products, iOS & iPad OS, Mac OS Apps, iCloud and lastly SERVICES.  The latter includes APPLE NEWS.  As all my other Apps work fine with iOS 16.1.1  I have filled the form in specifically related to Apple News where the problem lies. Like all such forms the comments field seems to be character restricted so I split it up over the two available comment fields.

just example text - I submitted much more detailed info.

At the time of posting I note that there are now 12 members with the same problem as well as numerous 1* reviewers reporting this on the UK Apple Store against the News App.  So please sent your reports into Apple.

Nov 12, 2022 5:09 AM in response to justin_900

@jutin_900

Hi Justin

Thank you for your comprehensive reply to my query.

Unfortunately as stated “I have tried all the usual remedial measures but to no avail!” Including all the measures you have described as well as clearing the history and saved articles incase there is a buffer/cache issue at play.

As there are increasing numbers of reviews reporting the same issue in the reviews against Apple News App on the app store I suspect that this is a widespread issue bearing in mind that not every user is au fait with how to report problems.

I have actually spend around 10 minutes viewing the News on my iPhone XR running the latest News app version and iOS 16.1.1 with no apparent problems. So it would seem to be a problem with the iPad running OS 16.1.1.

and the latest News app. I’ve always had the occasional crash previously but since OS 16 and more so 16.1.1 the issue has increased and made the News app unusable.

iPad Pro 9.7”

OS 16.1.1

Latest Apple News for iPad App (version not stated in info)

Kind regards

Philip

(UK)

justin_900 wrote:

1. Hello Finchale,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities!
We want to help get the Apple News app working perfectly on your device.
Use these steps to reinstall the app if needed, which should resolve the issue and get it working normally without crashing:
"If an app on your iPhone or iPad doesn't work as expected, try this.

Close and reopen the app
Force the app to close. Then open the app to see if it works as expected.

2. Restart your device
Restart your iPhone or restart your iPad. Then open the app to see if it works as expected.

3. Check for updates
To see if updates are available for the app, open the App Store, tap your profile icon, then scroll down to see if updates are available. If updates aren't available for the app, update the software on your iPhone or iPad.

4. Delete the app, then redownload it
Delete the app. When you do this, you might lose data that was stored in the app. Then redownload the app. Then check to see if the problem with the app is fixed."

This Apple Support page has the full details: If an app on your iPhone or iPad stops responding, closes unexpectedly, or won’t open - Apple Support

Please let us know if you have further questions.
Cheers!

Nov 12, 2022 12:58 PM in response to Todd0213

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, as I stated in my initial post to discussions “I have notified Apple yet again!!” using the link you sent. Now in the abyss that is Apple!

It is disconcerting that the UK App Store has several recent 1* reviews against the News App which report the same issue. Unfortunately it would appear that Apple do not monitor their app reviews and many reviewers may not be aware how to escalate the issue direct to Apple.

Regards

Philip

Nov 15, 2022 11:38 AM in response to Finchale

Same issue.

Though I also have found that the New App can also cause what appears to be the iPhone 8 crashing.

The news app has always crashed or slowed down the phone such that I had to close the news app.

The other day my phone got bricked installing 16.1.1. I was forces to do a DFU restore of iOS (which took many attempts to succeed). For about 2 days the app worked fine. Then it caused a phone crash.

Dec 6, 2022 11:47 AM in response to Finchale

Some forum authors suggest that the crashing problems are due to low memory so I have tabulated the available memories both storage and probably more importantly RAM on our four devices and this definitely rules this out.

Device.        Chip.  Speed.   Cores.     RAM.    Mem.    Avail.       

iPad Pro 9.7*.  A9x.  2.1 GHz       2        2GB   128GB.  61.3GB.  

iPad Air 2.**.   A8x.   1.5 GHz      3        2GB    64GB.  17.5GB         

iPhone XR.    A12.   2.5 GHz    6(2+4)     3GB    128GB.  61.6GB

iPhone 13.     A15.   3.2 GHz   6(2+4)     4GB    128GB.  79.7GB       

*Apple news crashes on this iPad since OS 16.1 up to 16.1.2

** Apple news does not crash on my wife’s slightly older Air but I hadn’t realised that she is running OS 15.7 which is now the latest update available for that device apart from security updates.

The Jetsam crash reports on my Pro show “iPhone OS 16.1.1” , product “iPad6,3” and build “iPhone OS16.1.1 (20B101).” Why Apple are identifying what was a later release of iPad OS as being “iPhone 16.1.1” is very suspicious

I am more than ever convinced that the issues have evolved on the iPad since the OS 16.x update series and that is where the issue should be resolved.

Dec 14, 2022 2:48 AM in response to Finchale

On Tuesday 13/12/22 Apple released iOS and iPad OS16.2.  Still suffering from the Apple News persistent crashes on my 9.7” iPad Pro (no issues with iPhone) I had nothing to loose so decided to update.  

** Working on my theory that as Apple News is supposedly packaged with the OS I first of all uninstalled the News app but did not reinstall.**

**I then installed iPad OS 16.2.  The process was faultless but Apple News did not install as part of the process so I accessed and it via the App Store.**

Again there is no indication of the version number as with other Apple packaged Apps.  I dually reinstalled the News app which was also faultless and on completion opened it.  It was slightly slow to load up but then worked without crashing.  This was without having my topics set up.  Having copied a list of my topics I then populated the  app with these half expecting the crashing problem to recur due to my extensive list but am pleased to report it is now working as before OS16.1xx

So I presume a fix is now in place either with the News App and/or the OS update.

I just wish Apple would communicate with their users as a group when issues such as this occur.  Many thanks to those who have reported the issue to Apple per se and hope the problem has resolved for yourselves. I am however sorry to learn that some of you are still having problems after the update.

Apple news app crashing.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.