Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Organise iTunes Library & Folders

Hi, I'm going through the process of tidying up my iTunes library, deleting duplicates etc. I've noticed that if I select 'show in finder' some of my music is in a sub folder called 'music' of users/~/music/iTunes/iTunes media/music. Some albums have half their tracks in 'iTunes media' and the other half in the sub folder of iTunes media/music. Really strange how this has happened? Is there a straight forward and safe way to tidy this mess up?

I don't subscribe to Apple Music, my library is mainly CD imports and various downloads.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

iMac 27″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Nov 9, 2022 12:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 9, 2022 2:55 PM

Tyeardley,

The "tidy up" command in iTunes/Music is Consolidate, found in the File > Library > Organize menu. For information on how it works, see here: Change where your music files are stored on Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

4 replies

Nov 10, 2022 11:28 AM in response to tyeardley

TY,

Consolidate does not move anything. If it finds a song in your library whose file is not in the designated Media folder location, it puts a copy in the designated location, and links to the new file.

The current file stays in place but iTunes/Music no longer links to it. Assuming you have no other non-iTUnes need for it, you can delete it.

I suggest a full backup before you start.

Nov 23, 2022 10:57 AM in response to tyeardley

The business with some files going to /iTunes Media/ and some to /iTunes Media/Music/ is down to another control. First make sure that the media folder location is set to ../iTunes Media/ rather than ../iTunes Media/Music/ Then try File > Library > Organize Library > Rearrange Files. In some cases it may help to turn Keep Organized off and then back on again to enforce the layout.

tt2

Organise iTunes Library & Folders

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.