Why are "Username/Music/Music/iTunes" & "Username/Music/iTunes" folders?

I have two iTunes folders- one is in "Username/Music/Music/iTunes" (52GB), and the other one is in "Username/Music/iTunes" (41GB).

Both iTunes folder contains the following:

• Album Artwork
  • iTunes Library Extras.itdb
  • iTunes Library Genius.itdb
  • iTunes Library.itl
  • iTunes Media
  • iTunes Music Library.xml
  • Previous iTunes Libraries

The "Username/Music/Music/iTunes" folder contains "iTunes Music", and their Previous Itunes Library folder contains libraries from 2015-2019.

"Username/Music/iTunes" - their Previous iTunes Library folder contains the libraries from 2013-2014.

I don't know how I ended up having two different folders. Is it safe to merge these two folders to save up space?

My Mac Spec:

macOS Ventura v13.4.1

Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019

Thank you for your advice!!

Music Spec

v1.3.5.8

iMac 27″, macOS 13.4

Posted on Jul 17, 2023 9:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 18, 2023 4:34 PM

Hello lazyoliveoil,

It's understandable to be concerned when making changes to your library. If you'd like, you can simply move the media folder to your desired library. Just in case, you can backup your library before making changes: How to back up your Mac - Official Apple Support

Once you do, you can move your files in your iTunes Media folder to your desired location and make sure that Apple Music is looking in the same location for those files. This link goes over where to locate that under "Change where imported files are stored": Change where your music files are stored on Mac

Take care.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 18, 2023 4:34 PM in response to lazyoliveoil

Hello lazyoliveoil,

It's understandable to be concerned when making changes to your library. If you'd like, you can simply move the media folder to your desired library. Just in case, you can backup your library before making changes: How to back up your Mac - Official Apple Support

Once you do, you can move your files in your iTunes Media folder to your desired location and make sure that Apple Music is looking in the same location for those files. This link goes over where to locate that under "Change where imported files are stored": Change where your music files are stored on Mac

Take care.

Why are "Username/Music/Music/iTunes" & "Username/Music/iTunes" folders?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.