Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Back up certain folders on a Windows computer

My boss wants us to keep a copy of our files in his secretary's computer (it runs on Windows 7) so he can have access to everything without having to ask us. That also mean I HAVE to use Word and Excel. Also, the computer they gave me is so slow I had to bring my MacBook to work with.

I tried moving all my work-related files over to her computer and working from it instead of my HD but that is also very slow and Word/Excel always ask for my authorization before opening a "remote file". This strategy also meant I had to either copy the whole lot of files or keep a record of the new files I generate and the ones that I change in order to only copy those files.

Is there a way to have my MacBook back up only the files pertinent to my work on said remote Windows 7 hard drive? Maybe have scheduled backups so I don't have to keep a record of the new files I generate or the ones that I change in order to copy them?

Thank you in advance for your help.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Nov 9, 2022 12:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2022 6:10 AM

Using a shared folder with something like OneDrive or Dropbox might be more efficient. You’d be working with local files which would speed things up. No need to remember what to copy over on the network.

Moving on from Windows 7 is overdue.

tt2

4 replies

Back up certain folders on a Windows computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.