Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Magic Trackpad 2 vs newer black model

I have a white Magic Trackpad 2 that came with my previous iMac. Apple still sells those for $129, but there's a newer Magic Trackpad that only comes in black for $149. Is there anything that was improved in the new black model that should make me consider buying one? My white one will occasionally disconnect from my new Mac mini, but I think that's just a common theme of all trackpads. Otherwise, it works fine.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Nov 9, 2022 7:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 9, 2022 10:12 PM

I have an even older Magic Trackpad, the original one, which I bought with my now retired 2009 iMac and it's a great asset. I use it with my current late 2015 iMac.

This device has had a few revisions but the nomenclature is a little unclear. The second iteration was once called Trackpad 2 but the 2 seems to have been dropped. Additionally, the latest releases are fundamentally the same as your Trackpad 2 (?) except that it has a USB-C to Lightning Cable for charging which yours might not have.

The black coloured trackpad was released in 2022. The Apple Store has it here, along with the white model.

If you're happy with yours I don't see the imperative to upgrade to a new one. Mine is doing well and it's about thirteen years old and I've not bothered to upgrade.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 9, 2022 10:12 PM in response to William M.

I have an even older Magic Trackpad, the original one, which I bought with my now retired 2009 iMac and it's a great asset. I use it with my current late 2015 iMac.

This device has had a few revisions but the nomenclature is a little unclear. The second iteration was once called Trackpad 2 but the 2 seems to have been dropped. Additionally, the latest releases are fundamentally the same as your Trackpad 2 (?) except that it has a USB-C to Lightning Cable for charging which yours might not have.

The black coloured trackpad was released in 2022. The Apple Store has it here, along with the white model.

If you're happy with yours I don't see the imperative to upgrade to a new one. Mine is doing well and it's about thirteen years old and I've not bothered to upgrade.

Magic Trackpad 2 vs newer black model

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.