Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Related Article: About the security content of macOS Ventura 13.0.1

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

when I try to update Mac OS Ventura to latest 13.0.1 I get A "Passcode is not set "error. Anybody able to help?

when ever I try to update my Mac to the latest Ventura 13.0.1 update, I get "passcode is not set " error.

Steve

iMac 24″, macOS 13.0

Posted on Nov 10, 2022 3:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2022 1:51 AM

1 - Restart in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal.

2 - Safe Mode will also eliminate Third Party Software, extensions and drives from loading 

3 - Does the issue present in this mode ?

12 replies

Nov 12, 2022 2:02 AM in response to dotage

Is there More than One User account on this computer ?

Is the User logged into a Non Administrator account while attempting to update Ventura ?

If above is accurate, suggest logging Out of the Non Admin account and back into the Owner Account of this computer

Then try again

The " Owner Account of this computer "  has that privilege to add, remove, upgrade or downgrade accounts. This would include adding more Admin Accounts and / or downgrading an ADDED Admin account 

Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

Normally the " Owner Account  " is the very first Account used when the Computer was Very First Setup as New and out of the box.

Adding additional Admin Account can be done there after.

Nov 29, 2022 1:14 AM in response to James Brickley

"SAFE MODE" is not displayed on the screen!

u need to look at:

Safe Mode Macos

On your Mac, press and hold the Option key, then choose Apple menu > System Information. In the System Information app, select Software in the sidebar. In the System Software Overview, look at the value listed next to the item labelled Boot Mode. Safe: The Mac is using safe mode.

Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support (HK)

Nov 28, 2022 9:17 PM in response to 63buick

@63buick

Shutdown the M1 desktop completely off. Press and hold the power switch, keep it depressed. You could also press and release quickly then press and hold. Keep holding until you see the Options screen appear. Then you can let go. Hold the shift key when clicking on the Macintosh HD disk and the option should change from Continue to Safe Mode you can then let go of shift and click the drive to boot into Safe Mode. You should be asked to login twice. Once at the desktop retry the upgrade.

Nov 29, 2022 1:42 AM in response to hoare-r

Whether the SAFE Mode is or is not displayed on the Screen for Apple Silicon M1 / M2 computer is not important.

The achieve a Safe Boot on Apple Silicon Computer requires different steps than Intel based computers

Therein, is the Major Difference

And as @ James Brickley very correctly mentions Shutdown the computer completely.

Doing a Restart will not Function at All.

I know as I have two Apple M-Class computers and it took some learning that Apple Silicon Computer may function much like Intel in most ways but very very differently for Safe Mode .

when I try to update Mac OS Ventura to latest 13.0.1 I get A "Passcode is not set "error. Anybody able to help?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.