Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari search engine always resorts to google search engine on it own after changing to other search engine

Safari search engine always resorts to google search engine on its own after changing to other search engine IMac 27”

2015 only happens on this device and not my iPad or MacBook Pro 13”

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Nov 10, 2022 1:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2022 6:20 PM

Thanks, that information rules out a lot of other possibilities.

If your description occurred while using that Mac in "Safe Mode", and it persists after a normal restart, and given everything else you did leading up to that point, I have nothing to suggest other than to reinstall macOS. Something went wrong with its installation that I do not know how to fix.

Reinstall macOS - Apple Support

Reinstalling is nondestructive but you should create a backup anyway, as a fundamental prerequisite.

Or, contact Apple at your convenience: Contact Apple Support.

Either way please let me know what you determine.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 17, 2022 6:20 PM in response to MC619

Thanks, that information rules out a lot of other possibilities.

If your description occurred while using that Mac in "Safe Mode", and it persists after a normal restart, and given everything else you did leading up to that point, I have nothing to suggest other than to reinstall macOS. Something went wrong with its installation that I do not know how to fix.

Reinstall macOS - Apple Support

Reinstalling is nondestructive but you should create a backup anyway, as a fundamental prerequisite.

Or, contact Apple at your convenience: Contact Apple Support.

Either way please let me know what you determine.

Nov 11, 2022 11:22 AM in response to MC619

I understand your selected Search Engine Preference is being ignored and that the following is not working as described: Change Search settings in Safari on Mac - Apple Support

Is it possible that you are using a Google Chrome Profile as described in the following Discussion:

Google Chrome Repeatedly Adds itself to Login Items - Apple Community

If not, does a Profile pane appear in System Preferences? If so it would look like this:

If you do not see one, please check to be sure it has not been "hidden" by selecting View > Customize.

Nov 16, 2022 5:13 AM in response to MC619

I understand that Safari is reverting back to its default Search Engine, but only after you quit Safari.

Quick test: Please determine if the same problems occur in "Safe Mode": How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support. Describe what happens when you launch Safari, change its Search Engine, perform a search confirming that change was effected, then quit Safari as you have been doing. Launch Safari again and determine if your Search Engine remained the same or if it reverted to its default again.

Then, restart your Mac normally and determine if the problem remains.

I may have more suggestions pending the results of your observations.

Nov 17, 2022 5:58 PM in response to John Galt

I started my computer in safe mode opened safari and changed the search engine to DD-go and searched the internet, search engine stayed the same. I quit safari, i then open safari and find that google is my default internet search engine without any input from me. I don't care to use google search engine i have to manually change my setting every time i open Safari for the first time.

Safari search engine always resorts to google search engine on it own after changing to other search engine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.