Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I switch back to my internal drive to boot from?

I have a late 2015 imac running Big Sur. A year or so ago I asked about ways to improve performance, and ended up following the suggestions to buy a solid state drive to boot from and to essentially replace the internal fusion drive.

I purchased the recommended hardware and ultimately never saw much of a difference. At this point I'd like to switch back to using the internal fusion drive so I can use the expensive solid state external drive for other purposes.

The way it's set up currently is that everything is on the external drive, and the internal fusion drive is just used for time machine backups.

What is the process I would follow to essentially clone the external SSD and put it back on the internal fusion drive, so that I could remove the external SSD? I'm not sure how to go about this. Thank you for your help.

iMac

Posted on Nov 10, 2022 3:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 10, 2022 3:41 PM

Erase and make sure that the internal Fusion drive is still fused and healthy.

see > How to fix a split Fusion Drive - Apple Support

Then reinstall macOS on the Fusion Drive and Migrate from the external SSD same as you would from anther Mac or Time Machine.

see > Move content to a new Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

1 reply

How do I switch back to my internal drive to boot from?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.