Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What to do when track pad or pointer is not working?

Trackpad & pointer do not work. Trackpad is cleaned. Suddenly happened & my Mac is only 2 months old.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Nov 10, 2022 4:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 10, 2022 9:13 PM

Krazz1213 Said:

"What to do when track pad or pointer is not working?: Trackpad & pointer do not work. Trackpad is cleaned. Suddenly happened & my Mac is only 2 months old."

-------

IF the Trackpad/Mouse is not Working:

Uninstall Security Software:

Any Security Software installed? If so, uninstall it. Use the uninstaller to do so. Contact the developer for the correct method of removal. Its privacy settings are probably disallowing it to be accessed.

Reset the SMC and your NVRAM:

(Intel-Based Macs Only): Sometimes when changes are made to the system(i.e. updates), system configurations (i.e. for the touchpad) become manipulated, technically. So, reset the SMC and NVRAM.

Try Safe Mode:

[Hold Down command key + R key] simultaneously upon boot. In Safe Mode, corrupted system setting files (caches), are intentionally fixed.

1. Boot: in Safe Mode
  2. Log In: as Same User
  3. Wait: 30 seconds
  4. Shut Down: the Mac
  5. Wait: 30 seconds
  6. Boot: the Mac normally
  7. Log In: as Same User
  8. See if can get this to work
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 10, 2022 9:13 PM in response to Krazz1213

Krazz1213 Said:

"What to do when track pad or pointer is not working?: Trackpad & pointer do not work. Trackpad is cleaned. Suddenly happened & my Mac is only 2 months old."

-------

IF the Trackpad/Mouse is not Working:

Uninstall Security Software:

Any Security Software installed? If so, uninstall it. Use the uninstaller to do so. Contact the developer for the correct method of removal. Its privacy settings are probably disallowing it to be accessed.

Reset the SMC and your NVRAM:

(Intel-Based Macs Only): Sometimes when changes are made to the system(i.e. updates), system configurations (i.e. for the touchpad) become manipulated, technically. So, reset the SMC and NVRAM.

Try Safe Mode:

[Hold Down command key + R key] simultaneously upon boot. In Safe Mode, corrupted system setting files (caches), are intentionally fixed.

1. Boot: in Safe Mode
  2. Log In: as Same User
  3. Wait: 30 seconds
  4. Shut Down: the Mac
  5. Wait: 30 seconds
  6. Boot: the Mac normally
  7. Log In: as Same User
  8. See if can get this to work

What to do when track pad or pointer is not working?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.