Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ventura update hides print button behind dock how to give feedback?

Since updating to Mac OS Ventura version 13.0.1 on my MacBook Pro when I go to print something the Print button at the bottom of the print options window is hidden behind the dock and the screen won't move or scroll down. I know that I can move the dock, minimise it or make it appear and reappear etc, but this stuff should just work. It worked fine before they "improved" it so my question is....How do I give the developers feedback please?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 13.0

Posted on Nov 11, 2022 6:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2022 7:10 AM

KRG22 wrote:

Since updating to Mac OS Ventura version 13.0.1 on my MacBook Pro when I go to print something the Print button at the bottom of the print options window is hidden behind the dock and the screen won't move or scroll down. I know that I can move the dock, minimise it or make it appear and reappear etc, but this stuff should just work. It worked fine before they "improved" it so my question is....How do I give the developers feedback please?

submit your Apple Feedback here: Product Feedback - Apple

Is this in a browser or an open document...

Try hiding the Dock and grab the bottom of the Print screen and make it smaller (?)

>System Settings > Desktop & Dock

Customize your Mac with System Settings - Apple Support

21 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 11, 2022 7:10 AM in response to KRG22

KRG22 wrote:

submit your Apple Feedback here: Product Feedback - Apple

Is this in a browser or an open document...

Try hiding the Dock and grab the bottom of the Print screen and make it smaller (?)

>System Settings > Desktop & Dock

Customize your Mac with System Settings - Apple Support

Nov 11, 2022 10:05 AM in response to VikingOSX

VikingOSX wrote:

1. I noticed a couple of things:
Your Preview 2-page spread window and the print panel are twice the size of mine when I open a large PDF Mail attachment in Preview and open a print panel.
2. Have you changed your Display settings from a default in Settings > Displays to Larger Text?

< I see now this post was  in response to KRG22 >

default all the way.

2 page spread (?) you mean the copy and paste side by side for example only image —the up/down arrow shows on the bottom of the panel.

I opened a .txt file

Command P

print dialogue up and down only, no corner, no side ways...

Dec 1, 2022 8:48 PM in response to KRG22

Please use this workaround that I found to solve the problem:

When you are in the Preview Application and you print, the Print dialogue window opens up. If the bottom portion of the window with the buttons PDF, Cancel and Print are below your screen, this is what you have to do:

• Click on the tiny arrow pointing downward which looks like a 'v' to the left side of the Preview options list.
  • Then click on the '>' arrow on the left side of the Media and Quality options located below the Preview options.

This will resize the print dialogue window to reveal the bottom sections.

Hope this helps.

Nov 11, 2022 9:38 AM in response to KRG22

KRG22 wrote:

I should have said, opening a pdf document which is attached to an email and trying to print it. Hiding the dock and grabbing the bottom of the print box does nothing I'm afraid, it will not go up or be made smaller. Will use link to give feedback thanks.

well it is interesting—

I tried it printing a .txt file and the dialog box resizes... I suspect it is not universal .

To be honest I typically do what works and not try to push the river.

Dec 9, 2022 4:34 PM in response to Suthran

Thank you -- it does clarify one thing: Your screen shows that "Media & Quality" is a submenu that appears between Preview and Layout after clicking on the arrow to the left of the Preview menu. That does not work on my laptop.

The submenus on my screen skip straight from Preview to Layout, with no Media & Quality to be seen, regardless of whether Preview is expanded or minimized. "Media & Quality" is simply not one of the menu sub(headings) available to me, regardless of the view.

Absolutely baffling. I'm up to date (Ventura 13.0.1) on an M1 Macbook, so I'm stumped.

I was able to manage the problem by setting the dock to disappear and appear as needed, but I find that effect quite grating, not a satisfactory solution in the long term. Sigh. Anyway, thanks again -- I do appreciate your trying to help.

(For the curious, see below for images showing the absence of Media & Quality as a submenu. Maybe I'm still missing something, but if so, it's quite arcane!)

View with preview submenu "closed" -

View with Preview submenu expanded:

Nov 11, 2022 7:37 AM in response to KRG22

In addition to what leroydouglas said:

1) You can (at least temporarily) change the display resolution. This problem probably is occurrig when you have "Large Text", or option next to it, selected in System Settings->Displays

2) You can activate the button just by pressing Enter (or press Esc if you want to cancel). The PDF button, on the other hand, is trickier.

Nov 11, 2022 8:47 AM in response to KRG22

The default print panel on Ventura is programmed to open mid-screen, not under the Dock. This is true with Apple applications, Adobe Acrobat Reader DC, Microsoft Word, and Affinity Designer 2, to name a few apps. As the print panel is fixed in location and cannot be moved or resized, it remains a mystery how it could open under your Dock regardless of the Dock orientation.

Dec 5, 2022 6:27 AM in response to Suthran

Thanks for your reply but I'm not sure what you mean by the Preview Options list? If I resize the preview window, then go to print, the print option box still comes up with the Print and Cancel buttons hidden beneath the dock.

When the Print options screen is open that is the only box I can work with, and "Preview options" is not one of the drop down menu options, perhaps you can guide me to the Preview option list you refer to, thanks.

Dec 5, 2022 7:06 AM in response to KRG22

KRG22 wrote:

Ah ok I get it, yes that works, thank you. Going back to my original post though, we sort of shouldn't have to know to do this just to get a print button to show? I have filled in the Apple feedback but doubt they will take any notice, but thanks for your reply anyway.

Agreed. It should not happen.

FWIW, I have not experienced this problem in my mac. I have no idea why some people have this, but it is not everyone.

Also, just in case it was missed: the Print button can be activated just by pressing Enter, and the Cancel button by pressing Escape (in fact I don't recall ever actually clicking on either of them). Not an excuse, but an alternative.

Dec 8, 2022 6:25 PM in response to Suthran

Suthran wrote:

Click on the tiny arrow pointing downward which looks like a 'v' to the left side of the Preview options list.
Then click on the '>' arrow on the left side of the Media and Quality options located below the Preview options.

Hi there, could you possibly clarify what you mean by "Media and Quality" options? I see nothing that uses that terminology below the Preview options, nor does anything I click or tick (after opening the "Preview options" submenu) make a difference.

If someone could post a screenshot that shows the exact > arrow ("on the left side of the Media and Quality options") referred to here, I'd be grateful.

Ventura update hides print button behind dock how to give feedback?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.