Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

TextEdit search function not working.

Since replacing my MacBook Pro I haven't been able to search TextEdit files. All the files are there, but when I hit search it just says 'Searching TextEdit' at the top of the window and nothing more happens. Any ideas?

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Nov 11, 2022 6:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2022 2:06 PM

Personal suggestion - update to latest Monterey.

Pause for a couple of days and in the mean time check out the New Feature Specific to Ventura.

One that is done, user choice to stay will Monterey awhile longer for take the plunge to Ventura

Personally moved from Monterey 12.6 to Ventura 13.0 on day one of release.

macOS Ventura - Apple (CA)

There are a few minor issue in the 13.0 but nothing show stopping

Similar questions

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 11, 2022 2:06 PM in response to Night-owl

Personal suggestion - update to latest Monterey.

Pause for a couple of days and in the mean time check out the New Feature Specific to Ventura.

One that is done, user choice to stay will Monterey awhile longer for take the plunge to Ventura

Personally moved from Monterey 12.6 to Ventura 13.0 on day one of release.

macOS Ventura - Apple (CA)

There are a few minor issue in the 13.0 but nothing show stopping

Nov 11, 2022 9:31 AM in response to Night-owl

Your are welcome from both.

Because of the may changes this computer will experience when moving from 12.5 to 12.6.1, another suggestion ➡️

Do you have a Rescue Plan In-Place. This comprises having 3 Backups using 2 methods and 1 Off Site incase of Theft, Loss or Natural Disasters. A Time Machine Backup  is very useful.

This is optional but with considerations -->> For addition purposes - two Tested Clones each to separate external drives. This is insurance incase. At least one Tested Clone and / or Time Machine Backup should be Off - Site

Nov 11, 2022 8:06 AM in response to Night-owl

Oh, I see. "TextEdit" is the name of a folder, where I suppose you have your TextEdit files.

I believe this is a bug in 13.0. I just tried searching inside folders, and it does not work. I saw other reports of this.

There is a 13.0.1 update available, supposedly fixing some bugs. Maybe this is one of them. I haven't had the chance to update yet.

TextEdit search function not working.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.