Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does iCloud Photo Library work seamlessly across versions of macOS?

I use iCloud Photo Library on my iOS devices (16.1) as well as my 14" MBP (macOS Ventura). I also still have a late 2013 iMac running macOS 10.15.7. I haven't used it much over the last couple of years because it had an issue randomly shutting down. I recently replaced the power supply and swapped the HDD out for an SSD and the machine is great again. I'd like to use it to download full res copies of all my photos from iCloud, but I'm nervous it will create issues with my photo library because of the different OS versions. My suspicion is that it'll work fine but may not have features that are part of the newer versions of Photos like Memories. Is that a correct assumption? Anyone have experience with iCloud Photos across vastly different versions of macOS?

iMac

Posted on Nov 11, 2022 9:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 13, 2022 8:31 AM

I went ahead and turned on iCloud Photos on the 2013 iMac running macOS 10.15.7 and everything appears to be working fine. It quickly downloaded all my latest photos and everything is in sync in terms of numbers of photos and videos. So, the short answer is yes, iCloud Photo Library appears to work just fine across versions of macOS. At least spanning Catalina to Ventura.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 13, 2022 8:31 AM in response to dbendixen

I went ahead and turned on iCloud Photos on the 2013 iMac running macOS 10.15.7 and everything appears to be working fine. It quickly downloaded all my latest photos and everything is in sync in terms of numbers of photos and videos. So, the short answer is yes, iCloud Photo Library appears to work just fine across versions of macOS. At least spanning Catalina to Ventura.

Does iCloud Photo Library work seamlessly across versions of macOS?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.