Older iMac won't sync photos to iCloud

Getting ready to copy/transfer ALL files, but most importantly ALL photos from an older, dying iMac to an external hard drive. I've updated and upgraded our iCloud capacity and have turned on iCloud in the photos preference tab and it is also checked in the iCloud preferences in the system preferences.....I've not seen a "sync" option though and I'm not seeing the photo library coming up when I log into my iCloud acct. I did notice that I had syncing off on my iPhone SE which I'm also expanding onto the Cloud as I used to back it up on sed old/dying iMac....I can see that those photos are in the process of uploading, but again....I canNOT get the photo library on the iMac to sync over to my iCloud..... please help - thank you! My iMac is older than 2014...newer than 2010....

Earlier Mac models

Posted on Oct 19, 2023 9:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 20, 2023 8:31 AM

iCloud Photos requires the "Photos" app on a Mac and will not work with the older "iPhotos" app.

Also see the following requirements from System requirements for iCloud - Apple Support

iCloud Photos

iCloud Photos is available on iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, Mac, and PC.

• iOS 9
  • OS X El Capitan 10.11
  • Windows 10 with iCloud for Windows 10 or later

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 20, 2023 8:31 AM in response to rubyb

iCloud Photos requires the "Photos" app on a Mac and will not work with the older "iPhotos" app.

Also see the following requirements from System requirements for iCloud - Apple Support

iCloud Photos

iCloud Photos is available on iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, Mac, and PC.

• iOS 9
  • OS X El Capitan 10.11
  • Windows 10 with iCloud for Windows 10 or later

Older iMac won't sync photos to iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.