Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPhone may be hacked

My iPhone 12 Pro may have been exploited by the CVE-2022-42798 vulnerability, a hacker may have changed my passcode to my iPhone. I know my passcode, I keyed it 5 times and still doesn't work. I have confirmed none of my family members have changed the passcode to my iPhone. The passcode works just yesterday, but today it's stop working. I am in the midst of restoring the phone to factory settings. Luckily I have backed up a week and a half earlier. But sadly I am going to lose a week and a half worth of pictures and data. Can someone tell me is this vulnerability allows hackers to exploit my iPhone and change the passcode to my iPhone. I discovered this when I was trying to update my iPhone from iOS 16.0.1 to iOS 16.1.1 ( The iOS fix for the vulnerability )

iPhone 12 Pro

Posted on Nov 11, 2022 12:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2022 12:52 PM

EugeneAskWhy wrote:

I don't think I am getting iCloud+ cause I have Microsoft 365 which set me back lots of cash, but hey it has 1TB of OneDrive cloud backup storage.

Then just sync your photos to OneDrive. I’m pretty sure the OneDrive app can do that automatically.

But thanks for your suggestion, I am still trying to figure out how it happened.

Don’t discount the possibility of cosmic rays. Seriously→https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmic_ray#Effect_on_electronics

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 11, 2022 12:52 PM in response to EugeneAskWhy

EugeneAskWhy wrote:

I don't think I am getting iCloud+ cause I have Microsoft 365 which set me back lots of cash, but hey it has 1TB of OneDrive cloud backup storage.

Then just sync your photos to OneDrive. I’m pretty sure the OneDrive app can do that automatically.

But thanks for your suggestion, I am still trying to figure out how it happened.

Don’t discount the possibility of cosmic rays. Seriously→https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmic_ray#Effect_on_electronics

Nov 11, 2022 12:27 PM in response to EugeneAskWhy

That vulnerability was fixed in 16.1, and it would have required that you download an audio file from an untrustworthy source. And it also only made it possible to copy data from the phone, not update anything on the phone such as a passcode. So it is very unlikely that is the cause of your issue.

May I suggest turning on automatic iCloud backups, and that you sync photos to iCloud so you will never be in danger of losing more than 1 days content?

Nov 11, 2022 12:29 PM in response to EugeneAskWhy

EugeneAskWhy wrote:

My iPhone 12 Pro may have been exploited by the CVE-2022-42798 vulnerability,

How do you know this? Is your data worth between five and twenty-five thousand dollars to access?

Luckily I have backed up a week and a half earlier. But sadly I am going to lose a week and a half worth of pictures and data.

Why are you not backing up every night? If you have iCloud backup enabled and, every night put your phone on charge, connect it to WiFi and lock the screen, it will back up. That way, you'll never lose more than a day's data.

Can someone tell me is this vulnerability allows hackers to exploit my iPhone and change the passcode to my iPhone. I discovered this when I was trying to update my iPhone from iOS 16.0.1 to iOS 16.1.1 ( The iOS fix for the vulnerability )

The iOS fix was actually iOS 16.1. The vulnerability affected memory handling and could disclose data. It would not have allowed someone to change your password. That can't be done remotely.

Nov 11, 2022 12:39 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

. For the iCloud, I have iCloud base plan, the 5GB one, it's has filled to the brim.

. Also this vulnerability able to execute arbitrary code with kernel privileges. To me, it sounds like the iOS and security could be at risk and be remotely hacked, as I think the passcode is stored in the phone's internal kernel software. Hacker could decrypt the security kernel and gain access to the the passcode. They're one part of the software that makes me look that they gain access to the passcode and changed it. AppleMobileFileIntegrity, I read the CVE-ID and it states that this a hacker will be able to modify protected parts of the file system.

Nov 11, 2022 12:43 PM in response to EugeneAskWhy

EugeneAskWhy wrote:

. For the iCloud, I have iCloud base plan, the 5GB one, it's has filled to the brim.

Send the .99/ month to get more space. It's a bargain if you value your data.

Also this vulnerability able to execute arbitrary code with kernel privileges. To me, it sounds like the iOS and security could be at risk and be remotely hacked,

You are incorrect.

as I think the passcode is stored in the phone's internal kernel software. Hacker could decrypt the security kernel and gain access to the the passcode.

Not to be rude but no, you don't really know what you're talking about. And no, the password cannot be changed remotely.

My iPhone may be hacked

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.